Alan Ewen Donald
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the British diplomat. For the South African cricketer, see Allan Donald.
Not to be confused with Alan McDonald (disambiguation), Allan McDonald (disambiguation), Alan MacDonald (disambiguation), or Allan MacDonald (disambiguation).
|United Kingdom Ambassador to China|
|Born||5 May 1931|
Sir Alan Ewen Donald KCMG (born 5 May 1931) is a retired British diplomat who was ambassador to Indonesia and China.
- National Service with Royal Horse Artillery 1949–50.
- Joined HM Foreign Service 1954: Third Secretary, Peking, 1955–57.
- Foreign Office (FO), 1958–61: Private Secretary to Parliamentary Under-Secretary, FO, 1959–61.
- Second, later First Secretary, UK Delegation to NATO, Paris, 1961–64.
- First Secretary, Peking, 1964–66.
- Personnel Dept, Diplomatic Service Admin Office, later FCO, 1967–71.
- Counsellor (Commercial), Athens, 1971–73.
- Political Adviser to Governor of Hong Kong, 1974–77.
- Ambassador to Republics of Zaire, Congo Brazzaville, Burundi and Rwanda, 1977–80.
- Assistant Under-Secretary of State (Asia and the Pacific), FCO, 1980–84.
- Ambassador to Republic of Indonesia, 1984–88.
- Ambassador to People’s Republic of China, 1988–91.
- Director: China Fund Inc. (NY), 1992–2003; HSBC China Fund Ltd, 1994–2004; J.P. Morgan Fleming Asian Investment Trust Ltd, 1997–2001 (Fleming Far Eastern Investment Trust, 1991–97).
- President, China Association, 2003–08.
- DONALD, Sir Alan (Ewen), Who's Who 2014, A & C Black, 2014 (online edition, Oxford University Press, 2014)
- A despatch by Donald, headed "First Impressions of Indonesia", is included in The Spanish Ambassador's Suitcase: Stories from the Diplomatic Bag by Matthew Parris (Penguin, 2012, ISBN 9780241957097)
- A despatch by Donald, headed "China: Valedictory Despatch", is included in Parting Shots by Matthew Parris (Penguin, 2011, ISBN 9780670919291)
Sir Richard Evans
|British Ambassador to China
Sir Robin McLaren
|This British diplomat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|