Alan Watson (magician)
|Born||Alan Scott Watson
26 November 1950
Wellington, New Zealand
Alan Scott Watson QSM (born 26 November 1950) is a professional magician living and performing in Auckland, New Zealand. He has been performing professionally for more than 30 years and has won some of magic's highest awards and accolades. He is the president of the Brotherhood of Auckland Magicians.
Born in Wellington in 1950, Watson learned the art of magic from his great-great uncle, Oswald Ashton, at the age of seven.
He has appeared at the Magic Castle in Hollywood five times for a total of over 100 performances. He was the founder and administrator of the MagicNZ BBS in 1993. Watson also founded the Magic New Zealand e-zine and has acted as editor from 1999 to present. In 1995 he was awarded the MIMC with Gold Star, the highest degree member of The Magic Circle. Watson and his wife Michele were presented the DRAGON Award in New York 2002. In 2006 he was a recipient of the Benny Award from the Variety Artists Club of New Zealand Inc, their highest honour.
Watson served as President for the New Zealand Society of Magicians from 1981 to 1983 and then from 1986 to 1989. He is a life member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians, the Variety Artists Club of New Zealand and The Society of American Magicians.
Watson performs in the areas of corporate and family magic shows. In most of his acts, his wife Michele plays his assistant.
Awards and honours
- 2017 - Life Member, Brotherhood of Auckland Magicians Incorporated
- 2016 - Order of Merlin - Shield - from IBM International President - for a long-standing membership (35 years)
- 2015 - Queen's Service Medal (QSM) for services as a magician
- 2014 - Award of Merit - Academy of Magical Arts
- 2006 – New Zealand Grand Master of Magic Award
- 2006 – Order of Merlin – International Brotherhood of Magicians
- 2006 – Benny Award – Variety Artists Club of New Zealand Inc
- 2005 – Presidential Citation from IBM International President
- 2005 – Best Mental Effect – Linking Ring Awards
- 2003 – Agnew Excellence Award – Variety Artists Club of New Zealand Inc
- 2002 – DRAGON Award – J. Marberger Stuart Foundation (2002)
- 1999 – Scroll of Honour – Variety Artists Club of New Zealand Inc
- 1997 – Shure Golden Microphone – Most Professional Entertainer – Variety Artists Club of New Zealand Inc
- 1995 – Member of the Inner Magic Circle (MIMC) with Gold Star – Magic Circle England
- 1990 – 1st Place Close-up – 22nd Australian Convention of Magicians
- 1982 – The Peter J. Shield Award – 18th Australian Convention of Magicians (for Outstanding Contribution to the Art of Mentalism)
- Six times Top Children's Entertainer – New Zealand International Magic Conventions
- Four times Top Close-up Magician – New Zealand International Magic Conventions
- Four times Top Magician – Variety Artists Club of New Zealand Inc
Alan has been featured in the following magic publications :
- The Magic Circular - August 2015 - Front cover - Pages 234-237
- Vanish Magazine – April 2013 Front Cover – Pages 30–45
- The Linking Ring – November 2006 – Front cover – Pages 35–40 plus 68–70
- The Linking Ring – July 2004 – Kiwi Magic, pages 83–107
- Magicana – August/September 2002 – Front cover, pages 8–11
- The Linking Ring – November 1998 – Front cover – Kiwi Magic, pages 87–105
- M.U.M. magazine – September 1997 – Watson family front cover – Kiwi Magic, pages 15–25
- The Magic Circular [UK] – December 1995 – Front cover – New Zealand special section, pages 223–230. Also in this edition Peter Blanchard wrote a double page spread on the Watson family "This Is Your Life", pages 234–235
- Genii Magazine [US] – October 1992 – Front cover – New Zealand special issue for which Alan compiled, pages 805–819
- Magicana – October/November 1989 – Front cover
- Magicana – July/August 1984 – Front Cover, pages 5–7
- 2007 – Alan Watson's 7 Secrets to Success (2 DVD SET)
- 2016 - The Guy Cater Show on Face TV, Sky 083
- 2014 - One Network News, TV3 News - upon being presented with the Queen's Service Medal
- 2007 – Studio 2 LIVE (NZ children's show) – with granddaughter Aleshia
- 2006 – Pacific Beat Street – with granddaughter Aleshia
- 2006 – What Now? – with granddaughter Aleshia
- 1996 – Good Morning
- 1996 – The Great Kiwi Magic Show
Magic New Zealand E-zine
Watson publishes a weekly E-zine, Magic New Zealand. Magic New Zealand has more than 17,000 subscribers worldwide including many well-known magicians. It contains articles and writeups as well as performance dates and regular columnists.
- Field, Michael (31 December 2014). "New Year honours: Alan Watson". Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "Brotherhood of Auckland Magicians Inc, Life Members".
- "Grand Master of Magic Citation, Brotherhood of Auckland Magicians".
- "Variety Artists Club of NZ Benny Award Recipients".[dead link]
-  www.dragonaward.com
-  www.magicmasterclass.com
- The Guy Cater Show, 2016
- Tv1 News 2016
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNpxoRnRnc TV3 News 2016
-  Top Shelf Productions