He studied medicine at the Universities of Marburg and Freiburg, earning his doctorate with a thesis on nephritis saturnina. In 1886, he opened a private clinic for orthopedics, physiotherapy and massage in Würzburg, where in 1895 he became an associate professor at the university. In 1902 he succeeded Julius Wolff (1836-1902) at the department of orthopedics in Berlin.
Hoffa is remembered for introducing an operation for congenital hip dislocations (1890), as well as for development of a system of massage therapy (Hoffa system). His name is associated with a condition known as "Hoffa's fat pad disease", being characterized by chronic knee pain primarily beneath the patella.
In 1892 he founded the journal Zeitschrift fur orthopädische Chirurgie.
- Lehrbuch der Fracturen und Luxationen für Ärzte und Studierende, 1888 - Textbook of fractures and luxations for physicians and students.
- Lehrbuch der orthopädischen Chirurgie, 1891 - Textbook of orthopedic surgery.
- Technik der Massage, 1893 - Technique of massage.
- Atlas und Grundriss der Verbandlehre, 1897 - Atlas and outline of the teaching association.
- Die orthopädische Literatur, 1905 - Orthopedic literature.
- Pagel: Biographical Dictionary outstanding physicians of the nineteenth century. Berlin, Vienna, 1901, 758-760 Sp. (biography)
- Deutsche Biographie
- Google Books An Introduction to the History of Medicine, with Medical Chronology ... by Fielding Hudson Garriso
- Beard's Massage: Principles and Practice of Soft Tissue Manipulation by Giovanni DeDomenico
- NCBI Radiol Med. 1998 Apr;95(4):278-85. Impingement of infrapatellar fat pad
- WorldCat Identities (publications)