Alex Da Silva (dancer)
|Alex Da Silva|
March 27, 1968 |
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Da Silva was born March 27, 1968 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He discovered Salsa dancing at the age of 20. He is credited with contributing to the LA-style of salsa dancing. Da Silva started his career as a salsa dancer and instructor in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Rape charge and conviction
In 2009, Da Silva was charged with "four counts of forcible rape, two counts of assault with intent to commit rape and two counts of sexual penetration by a foreign object." Da Silva stated he was innocent and pleaded not guilty to all charges. He had stated in interviews that the sex was consensual and that the women were trying to extort money from him and they may have known each other as they came from the same small town.
On September 16, 2011, a downtown Los Angeles jury found Alex Da Silva, 43, guilty of raping a 22-year-old woman in August 2002 and assault with intent to commit rape involving another woman in March 2009.
On January 27, 2012, L.A. Superior Court Judge Kathleen Kennedy, defense attorney Carlos Valdez. Valdez and associates Santa Ana CA handed down a 10 year prison sentence in reference to the 2009 arrest.
|Season 1||Week 1||Michelle Brooke
|Mambo||"Caravan"—Eddie Torres and His Mambo Kings|
|Week 2||Salsa||"Cubanjam"—Orquesta la Palabra|
|Week 5||Kamilah Barrett
|Mambo||"Mambo Cool"—Ernesto Marquez and his Orchestra|
|Cha Cha||"El Sabroso Son"—La Palabra|
|Week 6||Ashlé Dawson
|Argentine tango||"Santa Maria"—Gotan Project|
|Week 7||Ashlé Dawson
|Salsa||"Oh Mayi"—La Sonora Poncena|
|Week 8||Alex Da Silva
|Guest performance||"Caravan"—Eddie Torres and His Mambo Kings|
|Season 2||Week 1||Allison Holker
|Salsa||"El Tamblor"—La Palabra|
|Mambo||"Nina"—Joe Cuba Sextet|
|Week 3||Heidi Groskreutz
|Cuban rumba||"Rumba del Solar"—Angelo Rodriguez|
|Week 7||"La Cumparsita"—Orquestra Esquela de Tango|
|Mambo||"Black Mambo"—Angel and the Mambokats|
|Week 9||Salsa||"La Comay"—Sonora Carruseles|
|Season 3||Week 1||Ashlee Langas
|Argentine tango||"Sentimiento Tango"—Trio Federico-Berlingieri|
|Salsa||"Friday Night Rhythm"—Mazerati 5|
|Week 4||Shauna Noland
|Mambo||"Flauta Y Timbal"—Tito Puente|
|Week 7||Sara Von Gillern
|Argentine tango||"Whatever Lola Wants"—Sara Vaughan and Gotan Project|
|Season 4||Week 2||Chelsie Hightower
|"Mi Confesión"—Gotan Project|
|Salsa||"Aguanilé"—Willie Colón and Héctor Lavoe|
|Week 4||Kourtni Lind
|Week 5||Chelsie Hightower
- Favourite routines:
- Mambo with Benji Schwimmer and Heidi Groskreutz was chosen by Benji Schwimmer (winner) as his best performed routine season 2
- Fox Broadcasting Company: So You Think You Can Dance Archived June 16, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Alex Da Silva: Dance Instructor - Dance Aficionado - Online Dance Resource Of Los Angeles
-  Archived July 20, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Josh Grossberg (Jun 2, 2010). "So You Think You Can Dance Star Pleads Innocent in Rape Case". Eonline. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- Edie,TSF (September 16, 2011). "Alex da Silva - His Story". Salsafreak. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- Milton Rodas (February 9, 2011). "Alex Da Silva Trial in Court to Start Soon". Salsahook. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- Milton Rodas (Jun 23, 2011). "Alex Da Silva Trial Delayed Multiple Times". Salsahook. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- Richard Winton (September 16, 2011). "'So You Think You Can Dance' choreographer guilty of rape". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- Tim Kenneally (September 16, 2011). "'So You Think You Can Dance' Choreographer Alex Da Silva Gets 10 Years for Rape and Assault". Reuters. Retrieved 28 January 2012.