Alexander Kuo (born 1941? in Boston, Massachusetts) is an American teacher, poet, fiction writer, and essayist. He was a Professor of English at Washington State University, and retired in 2012. He has taught in numerous academic institutions in China, including Beijing and Changchun universities. In 2002 he won an American Book Award for his Lipstick and Other Stories of the Before Columbus Foundation.
Early life and education
Alexander Kuo was born into a Chinese-American family in Boston, Massachusetts. He received his B.A. from Knox College in Illinois in 1961, where he studied with Sam Moon and Gogisi. He earned an M.F.A. from the University of Iowa, where he studied in the Iowa Writer's Workshop with Donald Justice and Philip Roth.
Kuo was a professor of English at Washington State University (WSU), which lists him as an example of their "world class faculty." He is the former chair of the Department of Comparative American Cultures (now called Comparative Ethnic Studies). In 2001, WSU named him as their first Writer-in-Residence.
- Kuo has won multiple National Endowment for the Arts grants.
- He has held numerous teaching fellowships in China, including a 1989 fellowship at Beijing University, Senior Fulbright Scholar at Changchun University in 1991-92, and a Lingnan Fellow in Hong Kong in 1997-98.
- He has held positions at numerous universities in China including Peking University, Beijing Forestry University, Jilin University, and Hong Kong Baptist University.
- In 2002-03, Kuo was Writer-in-Residence with the Mercy Corps.
- 2003-2004, he received a Rockefeller Foundation grant for a Bellagio residency in Italy.
- 2002, Lipstick and Other Stories won the American Book Award of the Before Columbus Foundation.
- The Window Tree (1974)
- New Letters from Hiroshima, and Other Poems (1974)
- Changing the River (1986)
- This Fierce Geography (1998)
- Chinese Opera (novel, 1998)
- Lipstick and Other Stories (short stories, 2001)
- Panda Diaries (novel, 2006)
- White Jade and Other Stories (short stories, 2008)
- The Man Who Dammed the Yangtze: A Mathematical Novel (novel, 2011)
- Alex Kuo, "Damming the American West", Bluefish website, 2003
- ""Poet Alex Kuo Judges Writing Awards"". Archived from the original on 2006-09-01. Retrieved 2007-03-12.
- "Future Students: Why WSU?" http://www.wsu.edu/future-students/why-wsu/wc_kuo.htm Archived 2007-05-14 at the Wayback Machine.
- Natascha Karlova, "On Lipstick, Rodeo Queens, Creative Compatibility, and Making a Difference," Ask. Magazine, WSU College of Liberal Arts (December 2002), p. 15.
- CAE Homepage http://libarts.wsu.edu/ces/ Archived 2007-04-13 at the Wayback Machine.
- WSU Press Release  Archived 2006-09-04 at the Wayback Machine. (June 2001)
- WSU Press Release  (January 1999) Archived September 4, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- "ABE List of Winners" "Archived item". Archived from the original on 2010-01-17. Retrieved 2007-03-12.
- Robert H. Abel, "Review of 'Lipstick and Other Stories'," Asian Review of Books (March 2001)