Alexander Moffat OBE DLitt RSA studied at Edinburgh Art College, where he was taught by William Gillies, Robin Philipson and James Cumming. He concentrated on portraiture, described as "Scottish realism", and was among the leading Scottish intellectuals of the 1960s. He was Head of Painting and Printmaking at the Glasgow School of Art, where he worked for 25 years until 2005 and is credited with helping to steer the resurgence of figurative painting at the GSA. Painters like the so called New Glasgow Boys of the late 1980s including Steven Campbell, Peter Howson, Adrian Wiszniewski and Ken Currie, in addition to Jenny Saville and Alison Watt, were amongst his students. Sandy Moffat, in conjunction with Sam Ainsley and David Harding, individually and collectively nurtured generations of artists who have gone on to make Glasgow’s reputation as a leading centre of creative practice.
Examples of Moffat's work are held in the collections of the National Galleries of Scotland, the Russell-Cotes art gallery, the University of Edinburgh, Fife Council, the University of St Andrews, the Museum of the Isles, the Orkney Islands Council, the North Ayrshire Council, and the Royal Scottish Academy of Art and Architecture.
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery
- The Press Club, Warsaw
- The Open Eye Gallery, Edinburgh
- The Peacocks Visual Arts Gallery, Aberdeen.
- Arts of Independence (with Alan Riach), Luath Press, 2014
- Arts of Resistance (with Alan Riach), Luath Press, 2009
- "ALEXANDER SANDY MOFFAT RSA, OBE (BRITISH, BORN 1943), 'THE CONTEST', contemporary Scottish school,". Chiswick Auctions. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- Moffat, Alexander (31 August 2018). "Dr". The Essential School of Painting. The Essential School of Painting. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "NEWS RELEASE: AHM - Sam Ainsley, David Harding and Alexander Moffat awarded Honorary Doctorates at GSA Graduation". Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "Painted into a corner FACE TO FACE: Sandy Moffat". The Herald Scotland. 7 February 2005. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- Richardson, Craig (2011). Scottish Art Since 1960: Historical Reflections and Contemporary Overviews. Ashgate. p. 58. ISBN 0-7546-6124-5.
- "Alexander Moffat". National Galleries of Scotland. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "Alexander Moffat paintings". BBC. Retrieved 8 November 2015.