Alexander Nicolaus Scherer
In 1794 he graduated from the University of Jena, later serving as a lecturer at the gymnasium in Weimar. In 1800 he was appointed a professor of physics at the University of Halle, shortly afterwards working as a manager at a stoneware factory in Potsdam. In 1803 he relocated to the University of Dorpat as a professor of chemistry, and during the following year returned to St. Petersburg as a professor of chemistry and pharmacy at the medico-surgical academy. In 1815 he became a full member of the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences.
He was an editor of the journals Allgemeines Journal der Chemie (from 1798 to 1803) and Allgemeine nordische Annalen der Chemie (from 1817 to 1822). He was the author of Kurze Darstellung der chemischen Untersuchungen der Gasarten (Weimar, 1799), translated into English in 1800 as A short introduction to the knowledge of gaseous bodies. Other principal works by Scherer include:
- Versuch einer populären Chemie, 1795 - book on popular chemistry.
- Nachträge zu den Grundzügen der neuern chemischen Theorie, 1796 - Supplements to the basic features of modern chemical theory.
- Grundriss der Chemie für akademische Vorlesungen, 1800 - Outline of chemistry for academic lectures.
- Codex medicamentarius Europaeus, 1819-1824.
- Versuch einer systematischen Uebersicht der Heilquellen des russischen Reichs, 1820 - A systematic survey on the mineral springs of the Russian Empire.
- Literatura pharmacopoearum, 1822.
- Biography @ Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie
- Bibliotheca Chemica Royal College of Science and Technology (Glasgow, Scotland). Andersonian Library, James Young, John Ferguson
- Google Books Pharmaceutical Journal: A Weekly Record of Pharmacy and Allied Science
- Repertorium Veterrimarum Societatum Litterariarum Journal Title Abbreviations: Poggendorff: Q - S
- WorldCat Title A short introduction to the knowledge of gaseous bodies
- World Cat Identities (publications)