|Italian Republic Senator
May 9, 1996
July 17, 1943 |
Rimini, Emilia Romagna
|Political party||National Alliance - PdL|
Alfredo Mantica (born July 17, 1943 in Rimini) is an Italian politician. He is a member of the National Alliance party (PdL). He became Under-Secretary for Foreign Affairs in the cabinet of Silvio Berlusconi on May 12, 2008.
Mantica is married and is the father of two children. He earned a degree in Economics from the Sacro Cuore Catholic University of Milan in 1967. Besides Italian, he is also fluent in French and English.
Mantica was elected to the Senate of the 10th Legislature on the Movimento Sociale Italiano-Destra Nazionale (Italian Social Movement–National Right) Party ticket in 1987 in the Milan 3 constituency. Re-elected to the Senate of the 13th Legislature on 21 April 1996 in the Lombardy 14 constituency (Monza). Re-elected to the Senate of the 14th Legislature on 13 May 2001 in the Lombardy 14 constituency (Monza). Re-elected to the Senate of the 15th Legislature on 9 April 2006 in the Lombardy constituency. Re-elected to the Senate of the 16th Legislature on 13 April 2008 in the Lombardy constituency.
Institutional posts and parliamentary activities
10th Legislature: member of the Italian Social Movement Group, member of the Finance and Treasury Committee and member of the Council for European Community Affairs. Member of the 10th Standing Committee (Industry, trade, tourism).
10th and 13th Legislatures: Member of the 5th Standing Committee (Budget). 10th and 13th Legislatures: Member of the 6th Standing Committee (Finance and Treasury).
13th Legislature: Acting Vice Chairman of the Alleanza Nazionale (National Alliance) Party. Chairman of the Consultative Committee of both Houses on tax registry surveillance. Member of the Parliamentary Commission of Inquiry into terrorism in Italy and the failure to identify the perpetrators of attacks.
15th Legislature: Member of the 3rd Standing Committee (Foreign Affairs and Emigration) Vice Chairman of the 3rd Standing Committee (Foreign Affairs and Emigration) Member of the Special Committee for the protection and promotion of human rights
16th Legislature: Appointed Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs (4th Berlusconi government) 12 May 2008, with special responsibility for bilateral relations with the countries of Europe and the former Soviet countries of Asia and the Caucasus; relations with the institutions of the EU; exercising the presidency of the National Committee for the Promotion of Italian Culture Abroad; general policy regarding Italian communities abroad and their integration and rights; enhancement of the role of Italian business enterprises abroad; and coordination of initiatives aimed at the reinforcement and rationalisation of the consular network.
- Movimento Sociale Italiano-Destra Nazionale (Italian Social Movement–National Right) in 1958.
- MSI-DN Central Committee, 1965.
- Cinisello Balsamo City Councillor, 1970.
- Milan City Councillor from 1971 to 1990.
- Provincial Councillor from 1995 to 1997.
- Member of the Allianza Nazionale (National Alliance) Party National Political Board since 1988.
- Member of the Popolo della Libertà (The People of Freedom) Coalition.
Within the scope of the political directives issued by the Minister, will assist the Minister in matters concerning:
- relations with the parliament and the other ministries on the matters listed below and others in compliance with the Minister’s instructions;
- general policies regarding Italian communities abroad and the various aspects regarding their integration and rights;
- reinforcement of the role of Italian business persons residing abroad;
- coordination of initiatives aimed at the enhancement and rationalisation of the consular network;
- the formation of commissions and work groups to treat the matters contained in the present decree;
- bilateral relations with the countries of Europe, including the Post-Soviet states of the Caucasus and Asia with the scope of intensifying relations and Italian involvement in the efforts of the various regional and sub-regional intergovernmental organisations;
- relations with the institutions of the European Union;
- management of the Presidency of the National Commission for the Promotion of Italian Culture Abroad.
- Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs Website (in Italian)