Location within Labette County and Kansas
KDOT map of Labette County (legend)
|• Total||1.66 sq mi (4.30 km2)|
|• Land||1.64 sq mi (4.25 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|Elevation||912 ft (278 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||1,043|
|• Density||650/sq mi (250/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Altamont is located at  According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.66 square miles (4.30 km2), of which 1.64 square miles (4.25 km2) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.05 km2) is water.(37.189803, -95.293529).
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Altamont has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,080 people, 419 households, and 291 families residing in the city. The population density was 658.5 inhabitants per square mile (254.2/km2). There were 447 housing units at an average density of 272.6 per square mile (105.3/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 92.7% White, 0.6% African American, 1.9% Native American, 0.5% from other races, and 4.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.5% of the population.
There were 419 households of which 39.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.5% were married couples living together, 11.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 30.5% were non-families. 27.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.12.
The median age in the city was 36.1 years. 29.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.2% were from 25 to 44; 22% were from 45 to 64; and 14.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 46.7% male and 53.3% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,092 people, 427 households, and 303 families residing in the city. The population density was 677.1 people per square mile (261.9/km²). There were 458 housing units at an average density of 284.0 per square mile (109.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.43% White, 1.37% Native American, 0.18% Asian, 0.09% from other races, and 1.92% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.55% of the population.
There were 427 households out of which 35.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.0% were married couples living together, 8.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.0% were non-families. 26.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the city, the population was spread out with 29.0% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 25.5% from 25 to 44, 20.7% from 45 to 64, and 18.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 87.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $32,431, and the median income for a family was $40,987. Males had a median income of $30,694 versus $22,019 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,895. About 5.2% of families and 9.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.2% of those under age 18 and 21.2% of those age 65 or over.
Altamont is served by USD 506 Labette County. The district school office, Labette County High School, Altamont Grade School are located in the city of Altamont, and four grade schools are located in other cities in the school district.
Labette County High School mascot is Grizzlies, and their colors are red and gold. Previously, Altamont High School was closed when school unification merged into USD 506.
Altamont Grade School, a Pre-K through 8th grade facility, that acts as a feeder school to Labette County High School. Altamont Grade School's mascot is the Eagles, and their colors are Navy and Columbia Blue.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-01-24. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 21, 2011. Retrieved March 18, 2012.
- Blackmar, Frank Wilson (1912). Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc. Standard Publishing Company. p. 66.
- "Profile for Altamont, Kansas". ePodunk. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- Case, Nelson (1893). History of Labette County, Kansas: From the First Settlement to the Close of 1892. Crane & Company. p. 141.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Altamont, Kansas
- USD 506 District Map; KSDOT.
- "USD 506 Labette County". USD 506. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- USD 506, local school district
- Altamont City Map, KDOT