America's Cup World Series
|No. of teams||8|
|Related competitions||America's Cup, Louis Vuitton Cup|
The America's Cup World Series is a series of match/fleet race regattas founded in the lead up to the 2013 America's Cup. The series will be featured again in the lead up to 2017 America's Cup in 2015 and 2016.
The World Series used AC45 catamarans, a one-design wingsail catamaran with foils designed specifically for the event by the Oracle Racing engineering team. The AC45 was conceived as a smaller version of the larger AC72 class rule which were sailed by competitors during the 2013 Louis Vuitton Cup and the 34th America's Cup.
The AC45 has the following specifications:
- build: honeycombcore carbonfiber sandwich
- length: 13.45 m (44.1 ft)
- beam: 6.90 m (22.6 ft)
- weight: 1,290–1,320 kg (2,840–2,910 lb)
- maximum draught : 2.7 m (8 ft 10 in)
- air draught : 21.5 m (71 ft) without extension, 25.5 m (84 ft) with extension
- wing: 20 m (66 ft) 83.5 m2 (899 sq ft) wing element with three slotted flaps
- extension: 4 m (13 ft) high, 8.7 m2 (94 sq ft) area
- jib area: 48 m2 (520 sq ft), manufactured by a sail loft of team's choice
- gennaker area: 125 m2 (1,350 sq ft), manufactured by a sail loft of team's choice
- builders: Core Builders (NZ), Cookson Boats (NZ)
- crew: 5 + 1 guest
Team New Zealand's AC45 in April 2011.
Nine events were held between 2011 and 2013 in the lead up to the 2013 America's Cup.
As part of the protocol for the 2017 America's Cup, the series was revived to serve as a developmental competition. The series will once again be raced on AC45, but this time with hydrofoiling capabilities, with the winner of the series earning two points and the runner-up receiving a single point in the new America's Cup Qualifiers. At least four events are to be held each year. Cagliari, Portsmouth, Gothenburg, and Bermuda have been confirmed as venues in 2015. Following the withdrawal of Luna Rossa Challenge the regatta to be hosted by Cagliari was dropped from the schedule. A replacement regatta has not been announced.
- Italy hosting America's Cup World Series opener in coastal city of Cagliari stuff.co.nz, 23 January 2015
- Italy to host first World Series regatta nzherald.co.nz, 23 January 2015
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AC45.|