April 6, 1972
|Known for||Co-owner of Love Hate Tattoos (Miami Ink). Co-owner of Love Hate Choppers and DeVille clothing. Owner of The Woo$ter Street Social Club (NY Ink)|
|Home town||Miami, Florida, USA|
|Children||Shayli Haylen James|
James was born in then Israeli-occupied city of Sharm El Sheikh (now part of Egypt). His father, an American, converted to Judaism three years prior to moving to Israel, where he joined the Israeli army and met James' mother who emigrated from Romania. James lived in both Israel and Egypt as a child, and spent much of his childhood without his father who left the family when James was four years old. Suffering from severe ADD, James explains that he was drawn into art and tattooing from a young age, as his father had tattoos and was also a painter.
James moved to the United States aged 11 or 12, living with his father's parents before moving to Miami at the age of 12. At the age of 15 he got his first tattoo, an experience which made him determined to become a tattoo artist himself. He moved back to Israel in his teens and completed his military service in the Israel Defense Forces as an Infantry sniper.
In 1992, he started his apprenticeship with tattoo artist Lou at Tattoos By Lou. He is the co-owner (with Chris Núñez) of the Miami Beach, Florida tattoo parlor Love Hate Tattoos, the subject of the TLC reality television program, Miami Ink. James also co-owns the DeVille clothing company with Núñez and Jesse Fleet, and the Miami nightclub Love Hate Lounge, with Núñez and two other close friends. He has also created designs for Motorola's RAZR V3 mobile phones. His wife, Jordan, gave birth to their first child, Shayli Haylen James on August 3, 2008. Their second child, a daughter named Nalia, was born May 8, 2012.
James has also recently invested in a jewelry line, Love Hate Choppers Jewelry, with Boston jeweler Larry Weymouth.
He revealed on his blog that he was moving to New York and that his new show NY Ink planned to begin filming in March 2011. The show premiered on June 2, 2011. Season 2 of NY Ink premiered in December, 2011 and ran through March 1, 2012.
It was announced that Ami James was opening a tattoo studio, 'Love Hate Social Club' in London, UK in November 2012. The tattoo studio had a number of guest tattoo artists including, Darren Brass, Megan Massacre and Chris Núñez.
- "Ami James - NY Ink". bigtattooplanet.com. Retrieved March 29, 2012.
- "Ami James in Romania". YouTube. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
- DeVille Clothing Archived 2007-05-18 at the Wayback Machine
- Motorola MOTORAZR V3 Miami Ink Collection Archived 2010-03-16 at the Wayback Machine. Motorola.com. Retrieved on 2012-02-14.
- Før aftenens Aloha: Casper under nålen eb.dk, 2010-09-23
- Ami James Archived April 25, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Ami James. Retrieved on 2012-02-14.
- "'Lucky Pug Blog - Love Hate Social Club' Tattoo Studio, London, UK".
- "Love the Ink, Ditch the Fur".
- "Tattoodo is finally launched". Archived from the original on 2013-10-22. Retrieved 2013-10-20.