|Occupation||Director, Writer and Curator|
Amir George is an American filmmaker, artist, and curator. He is best known for Black Radical Imagination an international touring experimental film program he co-founded with Erin Christovale.
Early life and career
Amir grew up on the Southside of Chicago. He attended Columbia College Chicago between 2005-2007. Amir’s student short film Sneaker Freak crept onto burgeoning hip hop blogs in 2008, due to it featuring an unreleased song by The Cool Kids. In 2011, he directed a short film The Mind of Delilah starring Thai Tyler, and The Twilite Tone. In 2017, he released a short film entitled Decadent Asylum.
Amir films have screened at institutions and film festivals including Anthology Film Archives, Glasgow School of Art, Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, Ann Arbor Film Festival, Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit , Trinidad and Tobago Film Festival, BlackStar Film Festival, and Chicago Underground Film Festival, among others. In 2018, Amir became a programmer at True/False Film Fest.
Black Radical Imagination
Black Radical Imagination is international film program founded by Amir George and Erin Christovale. The films feature contextualized afrofuturist ideas through contemporary experimental films created by black filmmakers. The first consecutive screenings took place in 2013 in Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago between Feb-May. In June that year, Black Radical Imagination was invited to screen at Mickalene Thomas’s Art Bar Installation, Better Days in Basel, Switzerland. The Black Radical Imagination curated film programs have screened in art and cultural institutions including MoMA PS1, MOCA, Museo Taller Jose Clemente Orozco, Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Institute of Contemporary Arts and Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago.
|2017||Decadent Asylum||Short Film|
|2014||Just A Place||Short Film|
|2013||Mae’s Journal||Short Film|
|2011||The Mind of Delilah||Short Film|
|2008||Sneaker Freak||Short Film|
- "Crowdfund This: Amir George's "Metaphysical" Short Film 'Decadent Asylum'". indiewire.com. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "Afrofuturist Filmmaker Amir George Screens at Unseen Festival". westword.com. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "2018: The Year According to Amir George". walkerart.org. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "Urban Video Project: Interview with Curators of Black Radical Imagination". lightwork.org. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "Variety Show: Gretchen Travers debuts her Wicker Park Nights". newcity.com. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "Decadent Asylum". cuff.org. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "Contorting Metaphysical Hijinks Encounter with Amir George Curated by GeoVanna Gonzalez". theinstituteforendoticresearch.org. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "Black Radical Imagination Film Screening Curated by Amir George and Erin Christovale". gsa.ac.uk. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "In Progress: Amir George". mcachicago.org. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "AAFF HONORS BLACK HISTORY MONTH". aafilmfest.org. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "TRUE/FALSE CORE STAFF". truefalse.org. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "Interview with filmmaker and curator Amir George". atasite.org. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "Black Radical Imagination Film Screening Event At Art Basel, Friday, June 14". indiewire.com. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "Black Radical Imagination". moma.org. Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "Talks with Genius: Amir George "The Alchemist of Film"". thechicagolite.com. Retrieved 2019-02-28.