Colonel Anatoly Kyarov (died January 12, 2008) was the head of the Russia's Kabardino-Balkaria republic's UBOP (Unit for Fighting Organized Crime). He and his UBOP squad were accused of serious human rights abuses within Kabardino-Balkaria, including of torture and murder.
Kyarov was assassinated on January 12, 2008 in Nalchik together with a senior officer of the OMON special forces, while two other police officers were wounded in the attack. The local Islamist insurgent group Yarmuk Jamaat was seen as responsible for the assassination (its leader, Anzor Astemirov, have previously survived many assassination attempts himself by Kyarov and his men).
- MURDER OF KABARDINO-BALKARIA LAW-ENFORCER: ANOTHER TURN IN A VICIOUS CIRCLE?
- (Russian) ЧЕЛОВЕКА УБИЛИ «ДЛЯ ПРОФИЛАКТИКИ»
- (Russian) "Версия": в морге Нальчика лежат изуродованные трупы арестованных по подозрению в нападении на город
- Top cop killed, Russia launches hunt for militants
- Top Officer Murdered in Fire-Fight
- Astemirov Strikes Back: Background and Implications of the Kyarov Assassination in Kabardino-Balkaria
|This Russian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|