Andrea Mitchell (politician)
|Member of the Legislative Assembly
of Western Australia
6 September 2008
|Preceded by||Judy Hughes|
27 February 1956 |
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
|Alma mater||University of Western Australia|
Andrea Ruth Mitchell (born 27 February 1956) is an Australian politician who has been a member of the Legislative Assembly of Western Australia since 2008, representing the seat of Kingsley. She has been a minister in the government of Colin Barnett since March 2016.
Mitchell was born in Brisbane, Queensland, to Margaret Isabel (née Gracie) and Ronald Selby Mitchell. She and her family moved to Perth when she was 13, where she attended Melville Senior High School. She went on to the University of Western Australia, receiving a Bachelor of Physical Education degree and a teaching diploma. Mitchell worked as a physical education teacher for 15 years at various Perth high schools, and was then employed by the state government's Department of Sport and Recreation, initially as a consultant and then in managerial positions. She was also president of Tennis West from 1996 to 2008, a director of Tennis Australia from 1997 to 2008, and a director of the Hopman Cup. In 2000, Mitchell was awarded the Australian Sports Medal for her work.
At the 2008 state election, Mitchell ran for the Liberal Party in the seat of Kingsley. She defeated the sitting Labor member, Judy Hughes, with 54.5 percent of the two-party-preferred vote. Mitchell increased her majority at the 2013 election, recording 60.0 percent on first preferences and 64.8 of the two-party-preferred vote to turn Kingsley into a safe Liberal seat. After the election, she was made a parliamentary secretary. Mitchell was elevated to the ministry in March 2016, replacing Helen Morton as Minister for Child Protection and Minister for Mental Health.
- Andrea Ruth Mitchell – Biographical Register of Members of the Parliament of Western Australia. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- MITCHELL, Andrea Ruth – It's An Honour. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- Kingsley (Key Seat), 2008 Western Australian State Election, Antony Green's Election Guide. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- Kingsley, 2013 Western Australian State Election, Antony Green's Election Guide. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- Hon. Andrea Ruth Mitchell MLA BPE, DipEd, FAICD – Parliament of Western Australia. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
|Parliament of Western Australia|
|Member for Kingsley
|Minister for Mental Health
|Minister for Child Protection