The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||Kalamata, Greece (1952)|
|Net worth||$3.9 billion (2018)|
|Board member of||Chairman & CEO of Triple Group of Companies|
Andreas Apostolopoulos (born in 1952) is a Greek-Canadian billionaire businessman, primarily concentrated on real estate investment and redevelopment. He is best known for his ownership of the Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan. Apostolopoulos family are one of the richest Greek families in America and the richest Greek family in Canada.
Born in the port city Kalamata, Greece, Apostolopoulos emigrated to Canada in 1969. Starting as a laborer and janitor, he progressed to owning small service and manufacturing companies, paving the way to commercial real estate investment and redevelopment. He is currently the chairman of Triple Group of Companies, based in Toronto, Ontario.
Apostolopoulos made international news in 2009 when his investment company purchased the Pontiac Silverdome at auction for $583,000. A low purchase price for an 82,000-seat stadium that had been constructed in 1975 for $55.7 million ($220 million in 2009) Apostolopoulos's company Triple Sports and Entertainment had managed and operated the Silverdome as a sports and entertainment venue, investing millions of dollars to bring back the stadium to its original condition hosting many events, the first event at the Silverdome under his ownership was a monster truck and motorsports show on April 17, 2010.
It has since closed as of 2013, and as of 2014 the fiberglass roof has been deflated/removed and contents inside have begun being auctioned off.
- Schwartz, Mattathias (July 29, 2010). "Dome Sweet Dome". BusinessWeek. Bloomberg. Retrieved October 11, 2011.
- Walsh, Tom. "New owner's vision for Pontiac Silverdome: Big events", Detroit Free Press, March 11, 2010.
- Girard, Daniel. "Toronto Developer snaps up vacant Pontiac Silverdome" Toronto Star, 11-24-2009.
- Lewis, Al. "Selling the Silverdome for Shekels"[permanent dead link] FOX Business, 11-25-2009.
- Hedgpeth, Dana. "Silverdome's bargain price reflects financial woes in Detroit suburb of Pontiac" Washington Post January 2, 2010.
- Chandler, Rick. "The Pontiac Silverdome is open for business again!"[permanent dead link] NBC Sports November 3, 2010.