He is currently Professor Emeritus in the Department of Political Science at Queens College in New York. He did his undergraduate work at Amherst College. This was followed by graduate work at Oxford University, University of Michigan, and Princeton University where he received his PhD degree. Hacker taught at Cornell before taking his current position at Queens.
His most recent book, Higher Education? was written in collaboration with Claudia Dreifus, his domestic partner. Professor Hacker is a frequent contributor to the New York Review of Books. In his articles he has questioned whether mathematics is necessary, claiming "Making mathematics mandatory prevents us from discovering and developing young talent" while attracting criticism. Some counterpoint his article by citing it to be disastrous and wrong as it will leave many Americans ill-prepared to compete in a global marketplace with hard-working foreigners.
- Hacker, A., (1961) Political Theory: Philosophy, Ideology, Science, The Macmillan Company
- Hacker, A., (1992) Two Nations: Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal, Scribner. ISBN 0-7432-3824-9
- Hacker, A., (1998) Money: Who Has How Much and Why, Simon and Schuster. ISBN 0-684-84662-4
- Hacker, A., (2003) Mismatch: The Growing Gulf Between Women and Men. Scribner. ISBN 0-684-86252-2
- Hacker, A. and Claudia Dreifus, (2010) Higher Education?: How Colleges Are Wasting Our Money and Failing Our Kids - and What We Can Do About It Holt, Henry & Company, Inc. ISBN 978-0-8050-8734-5
- Hacker, A., (2012) "Is Algebra Necessary?", New York Times, Published July 28, 2012. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opinion/sunday/is-algebra-necessary.html
- Is Algebra Necessary? (2012) NY Times, Published July 28, 2012 http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opinion/sunday/is-algebra-necessary.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&
- Frenkel, E. (2013) "Don't let economists and politicians hack your math." Slate, Published Feb 8, 2013. http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/02/should_algebra_be_in_curriculum_why_math_protects_us_from_the_unscrupulous.html?fb_ref=sm_fb_share_toolbar
- There’s one key difference between kids who excel at math and those who don't (2013) Quartz, Published October 27, 2013. http://qz.com/139453/theres-one-key-difference-between-kids-who-excel-at-math-and-those-who-dont/
- Professor Hacker's author page at The New York Review of Books
- Blurb written by the author for "Mismatch" on the Simon and Schuster website
- Article about Claudia Dreifus at the East Hampton Star website
- Appearance on Colbert Report Colbert Report