This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Installed||14 November 1999|
|Other posts||Member of the Holy Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church|
|Consecration||Consecrated by Pope Shenouda III|
|Birth name||Anba Angaelos|
Anba Angaelos was consecrated in 1999 as a General Bishop (a rank between auxiliary bishop and chorbishop) in the United Kingdom of the Coptic Orthodox Church, the church of Egypt founded, according to its tradition, by Mark the Apostle around 55 AD and the largest Christian denomination in the Middle East. He was born in Cairo, Egypt and emigrated with his family to Australia; he spent his childhood and early life there, obtained his Bachelor of Arts, majoring in political science, philosophy and sociology, and went on to postgraduate studies in law whilst working in the same field. He returned to Egypt in 1990 to join the Monastery of Saint Bishoy in Wadi-El-Natroun, where he was subsequently consecrated a monk by Pope Shenouda III. He served as Papal secretary until 1995, and was then delegated by the Pope to serve as a parish priest in the United Kingdom. He is also Patriarchal Exarch for the Youth Ministry at the Patriarchal Center and the Coptic Orthodox Theological College at Stevenage. His nationality is recorded as British at Companies House.
He travels extensively around the world lecturing to Coptic youth at various youth conventions and conferences.
Church ecumenical and public relations in the United Kingdom. Ecumenical activity at local, national and international levels, also working extensively in the area of inter-religious relations.
- Churches Together in Stevenage (CTIS)
Churches Together in Stevenage (CTIS) is the gathering of Christian churches in Stevenage and surrounding Hertfordshire villages, it has 30 member churches and 6 associate member organisations. The Coptic Orthodox Church is member of CTIS and is represented by Angaelos.
During the February 2012 session of the General Synod, Angaelos became the first appointed representative to it of the Council of Oriental Orthodox Churches in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- Churches Together in England
- Churches Together in Britain and Ireland
The Coptic Orthodox Church is a member of Churches Together in Britain and Ireland (CTBI), represented by Angaelos, a trustee and Moderator of the Board of Trustees.
- Churches Interfaith Religious Network (CIRN), an ecumenical instrument of CTBI
The Churches' Inter Religious Network succeeds the Churches' Commission for Inter Faith Relations. It is the churches' ecumenical forum on inter faith matters.
- Moderator of the CIRN
Angaelos has been the Moderator since 2007
- Council of the Oriental Orthodox Churches in the United Kingdom and Ireland (COOC)
The following Oriental Orthodox Churches are members of the COOC:
- The Armenian Apostolic Church
- The Coptic Orthodox Church
- The Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church
- The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church
- The Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church
- The Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch, incorporating the Malankara Jacobite Syrian Church
Angaelos was chairperson as of 2013[update]. He had been President from July 2010 to July 2012 (maximum 2 terms).
- Anglican-Oriental Orthodox Regional Forum (AOORF)
The purpose of the Forum is to bring together representatives from the Church of England and those Oriental Orthodox Churches which are increasingly present in the United Kingdom. In summary the aims of the Forum are to receive and consider documents from international dialogues and their local relevance and implications amongst both clergy and laity; to encourage the unity of the Church through common prayer, worship, witness and education; and to discuss current pastoral, social and political issues and where appropriate make representations and responses to these issues. Bishops Angaelos and Geoffrey Rowell are the Co-chairs.
- Catholic-Oriental Orthodox Regional Forum (COORF)
COORF tries to work within areas which can be agreed upon. Angaelos and Archbishop Kevin McDonald are the Co-Chairs.
- Christian-Muslim Forum (CMF)
Angaelos is one of the six Scholar Consultants who have been appointed to support the theological and scholarly work of the CMF.
- Lausanne Orthodox Initiative
This is an international initiative that brings together evangelical members of the Lausanne Movement with members of the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches, to bring better and deep relationships between them. Angaelos is a Co-Chair.
- Anglican-Oriental Orthodox International Theological Commission
The Anglican - Oriental Orthodox Commission was established in 2001 and began its work by addressing questions of Christology. It has produced a draft Agreement on Christology, which is currently being considered by the Churches of the Anglican Communion. Talks aimed at the resumption of dialogue are in progress. Angaelos represents the Coptic Orthodox Church on the Commission.
The Coptic Orthodox Church is a member of the WCC; Angaelos represented it at the 9th Assembly in Brazil in 2006 and was a delegate at the 10th Assembly in Korea in 2013.
- Asylum Advocacy Group (AAG)
The Coptic Orthodox Church UK Asylum Advocacy Group was formed in 2007 by Angaelos, who is the chair, and incorporates the following interested parties:
The Coptic Orthodox Church, Christian Solidarity Worldwide, The Evangelical Alliance, UK Copts Association, United Copts of Great Britain, Educational Relief Trust, Barnabus Fund, Humanitarian Aid Relief Trust. Baroness Cox and Angaelos are founder members of the AAG; clergy, lawyers and specialists in human rights are members.
The AAG addresses the religious faith problems and issues that Muslim-Christian converts from Egypt have during their asylum application process with the United Kingdom Border Agency (UKBA). A Report for the AAG was commissioned in 2007 to look at addressing the experience of Egyptian converts to Christianity in the UK asylum system. This Report is now used to brief the Home Office, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and the judiciary. It is also used to support the applications of affected parties. The AAG is currently working with the UKBA on training needs and requirements for case workers to ensure that asylum seekers who are converts receive fair and unbiased treatment.
The Coptic Orthodox Church in the United Kingdom under Angaelos's leadership responded to a government consultation on same-sex civil marriage on 14 June 2012, saying that it could not support the proposal, and asking the Government Equalities Office to carefully consider several points. A press release on the same date made the same points, and included a statement by Angaelos that marriage was a "union that potentially brings forth a new life".
- President of Bible Society UK
- President of Churches Together in England
- Moderator of Churches Together in Britain and Ireland
- Chair of the Council of the Oriental Orthodox Churches in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland
- Co-chair of the Anglican-Oriental Orthodox Regional Forum
- Member of the Anglican-Oriental Orthodox International Commission
- Co-founder and Co-chair of the Catholic-Oriental Orthodox Regional Forum
- Co-founder and Co-chair of the Lausanne-Orthodox Initiative
- Moderator of the Churches’ Inter-Religious Network for Churches Together in Britain and Ireland (CIRN)
- Director of Churches Together in England
- Trustee of Churches Together in Britain and Ireland
- Ecumenical participant of the Church of England General Synod
- Member of the Anglican-Oriental Orthodox International Theological Commission
- Member of the Global Council of the United Bible Society
- Member of the Coptic Delegation to the World Council of Churches
- Founder and Convener of the Asylum Advocacy Group
- Chair of Christians Aware
- Member of Christian Solidarity Worldwide Board of Reference
- Scholar-Consultant on the Christian-Muslim Forum
- Chair and Founder of Foundations for Hope (FFH)
- Christians Aware
- The Ecumenical Society of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- The Apostolic Order of St Hadrian of Canterbury
- The SAT 7 Trust UK
- Embrace The Middle East
- Awareness Foundation
- "Malankara Orthodox Church of India/Malankara Nazrani". Marthoman.tv. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Anba ANGAELOS - Personal Appointments". Companies House. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "His Grace Bishop Angaelos General Bishop of the Coptic Orthodox Church in the United Kingdom". Bishop Angaelos.org. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "Churches Together in England". www.cte.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-04-20.
- World Council of Churches 10th Assembly, list of delegates (Microsoft Excel spreadsheet) Archived September 27, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- "A response to the Government Equalities Office consultation on same–sex civil marriage from the Coptic Orthodox Church in the United Kingdom". Coptic Orthodox Church in the United Kingdom. 14 June 2014. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Campaigning bishop is among people honoured in Hertfordshire". ITV Web site. 12 June 2015. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Archbishop Angaelos.|