|Born||Angela Margaret Scoular
8 November 1945
|Died||11 April 2011
|Spouse(s)||Leslie Phillips (m. 1982–2011)|
Scoular was among a small group of actors to have appeared in two James Bond films, made by different production companies. Scoular played Buttercup in the 1967 comedy Casino Royale and then two years later made an appearance in the Eon Productions Bond film series playing Ruby in 1969's On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
Her other film credits include A Countess from Hong Kong (1967), Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush (1967), Great Catherine (1968), Doctor in Trouble (1970), The Adventurers (1970), Adventures of a Taxi Driver (1976), and Adventures of a Private Eye (1977).
Her television credits included playing Cathy in a 1967 BBC production of Wuthering Heights, Doctor in the House, The Avengers, Coronation Street, Penmarric, As Time Goes By, You Rang, M'Lord?, in the recurring role of Lady Agatha Shawcross, and Lady Margaret Thompson in an episode of Series 2 of the Thames television series Minder.
She was a niece of actress Margaret Johnston. She moved in with actor Leslie Phillips in 1977, at which time she was pregnant by another actor. She brought up her son with Phillips, and, following Phillips' former wife's death in 1981, she married him in 1982.
Illnesses and death
Scoular suffered from depression and anorexia nervosa. She attempted suicide in 1992 by slashing her wrists with a knife. It was revealed in March 2009 that she was suffering from colorectal cancer; she was eventually declared cancer-free, but in the months preceding her death she had feared its return. Weeks before her death, she was arrested for drunk-driving. She died on 11 April 2011 after ingesting acid drain cleaner and pouring it on her body, causing lethal burns to her digestive tract and skin. She was survived by Phillips and her son Daniel. An inquest at Westminster Coroner's Court on 20 July 2011 established that Scoular had been an alcoholic and suffered from depression and anxiety about debts; she was on medication for bipolar disorder at the time of her death. The coroner recorded that Scoular had "killed herself while the balance of her mind was disturbed", and stated that her death was not suicide.
- A Countess from Hong Kong (1967) - The Society Girl
- Casino Royale (1967) - Buttercup
- Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush (1968) - Caroline Beauchamp
- Great Catherine (1968) - Claire
- On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - Ruby Bartlett
- The Adventurers (1970) - Denisonde
- Doctor in Trouble (1970) - Ophelia O'Brien
- Adventures of a Taxi Driver (1976) - Marion
- Adventures of a Private Eye (1977) - Jane Hogg
- Telegraph obituary
- "Leslie Phillips' actress wife dies", Press Association as reproduced by Google, 12 April 2011
- Obituary in The Independent
- Who's Who on Television 1970. Independent Television Publications Ltd
- "Bond actress Angela Scoular died drinking acid cleaner." BBC News, 20 July 2011.
- Rees, Caroline (14 March 2009). "My family values". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-05-27. Leslie Phillips interview.
- "Agony for Leslie Phillips as his Bond Girl wife commits suicide". The Daily Mail.
- "Former Bond Girl Dies in Suspected Suicide" Archived 16 April 2011 at the Wayback Machine. UK Movies, Yahoo.com.
- Guardian obituary