The Angola LNG plant is a single train facility with production capacity of 5.2 million tonnes per year. The plant uses ConocoPhillips' proprietary natural gas liquefaction technology (Optimized CascadeSM Process). In addition to LNG, it also produces propane, butane and condensate.
The plant is supplied from offshore gas fields on blocks 14, 15, 17 and 18, and from non-associated gas fields Quiluma, Atum, Polvo and Enguia.
The LNG project is presented as environmentally friendly by its designers, because most of its feedstock will consist of associated gas produced in association with crude oil in offshore field, that is currently flared.
The project was initially proposed to Sonangol by Texaco in June, 1997. The project, jointly managed by Sonangol and Texaco, continued evaluation processes and brought in outside partners (originally ExxonMobil, Elf Aquitaine, and BP.) Subsequently Texaco merged with Chevron Corporation, ExxonMobil was replaced in the project by Eni, and Elf Aquitaine merged with Total.
Angola LNG was formed as a joint project in 2008 involving Cabinda Gulf Oil Company, a subsidiary of Chevron Corporation (36.4%), Sonangol (22.8%), BP (13.6%), Eni (13.6%) and Total (13.6%). Sonangol and Chevron serve as co-project leaders. The shareholders will provide associated gas from their respective offshore oil fields. Director of Angola LNG is Eric Dunning.
- "Angola LNG to Deploy ConocoPhillips Liquefaction Tech". Downstream Today. 2008-02-01. Retrieved 2008-02-23.
- "Angola LNG Project is Approved. Press release". Angola LNG. 2007-12-10. Retrieved 2008-08-10.
- Faucon, Benoit (2009-12-24). "Chevron Confirms Angola LNG Plant To Cost $9B". Dow Jones Newswires. Downstream Today. Retrieved 2010-01-01.
- McClelland, Colin; Carroll, Joe (2013-06-16). "Chevronäs $10 Billion Angola LNG Ships First Gas Cargo". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Angola: Green Light for New $4B LNG Plant". Downstream Today. 2008-02-13. Retrieved 2008-02-23.
- "Angola LNG on track for 2012 flow". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. 2009-07-20. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- Chevron Angola Factsheet
- Angola LNG Production Resumes