Another Bullshit Night in Suck City
|Awards||2004 award from PEN International and shortlisted for the Prix Femina|
Another Bullshit Night in Suck City is a memoir by playwright and poet Nick Flynn, describing Flynn's reunion with his estranged father, Jonathan, an alcoholic resident of the homeless shelter where Nick was a social worker in the late 1980s. The title refers to Jonathan's description of homeless life in Boston. It was published by W. W. Norton in September 2004.
Publishers Weekly described it as "biting", and noted that "(a)lthough (the book is) depressing", it is not "hopeless", because Flynn — unlike his father — was able to "write well". At the Guardian, Christopher Priest commended Flynn for the book's "impressionistic, fragmentary" style that "actually seems to capture the banal, confusing mind of a homeless drunkard", but said that despite Flynn's skill, its subject "remains banal, depressing and sordid".
In 2007, Twentieth Century Fox acquired the rights to produce a movie adaptation of the memoir, Filming began in the summer of 2010 with Paul Weitz as director, and starring Robert De Niro as Jonathan and Paul Dano as Nick. The film, titled Being Flynn, was released on March 2, 2012.
In popular culture
In the 2014 movie 5 to 7, the main character is seen buying a copy of Another Bullshit Night in Suck City at the bookshop.
- Another Bullshit Night in Suck City Archived June 6, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. at Faber and Faber, retrieved June 5, 2010
- ANOTHER BULLSHIT NIGHT IN SUCK CITY: A Memoir, reviewed in Publishers Weekly; published June 21, 2004; retrieved November 16, 2017
- Poor lore, by Christopher Priest, in the Guardian; published April 2, 2005; retrieved November 16, 2017
- Profile of Nick Flynn at Blue Flower Arts Literary Speakers Agency, retrieved June 5, 2010
- Nick Flynn: Interview. Torture, drugs, homelessness: the maverick writer’s mind is a messy place at The Times, by Emily Stokes, January 2, 2010, retrieved June 5, 2010
- Another Bullshit Night in Suck City at W.W. Norton & Company
- 'City' bright at Fox 2000, from Variety, by Nicole Laporte, January 11, 2007, retrieved June 5, 2010
- Dano Joining De Niro for "Another Night in Suck City", by Scott Ross, published by NBC Chicago, January 4, 2011, retrieved March 24, 2011
- The Reenactments