Anthony Fenton is a Canadian independent print and radio journalist and writer. He has been a regular contributor to The Dominion and Z Communications, and is currently a doctoral student at York University.
Fenton earned a BA in political science from the University of Alberta in 2002 and an MA in political economy from York University in 2011. His master's thesis primarily took a wide-angled look at Canadian lawyers and law firms, aiming to investigate the functions they perform for Canadian government and business elites, as well as for the capitalist system globally. He is currently undertaking doctoral research at York.
Fenton maintains a long-running interest in Haiti. At the end of 2005, he and Dennis Bernstein exposed the links of journalist Régine Alexandre, who at the time was working freelance for the Associated Press and New York Times, to the US National Endowment for Democracy. The AP consequently severed its ties with Alexandre. Fenton's first book, Canada in Haiti: Waging War on the Poor Majority (2005), which he co-wrote with Yves Engler, was a study of Canadian policy towards the Caribbean nation.
- Canada in Haiti: Waging War on the Poor Majority. Co-author Yves Engler. Co-published: RED Publishing, Fernwood Publishing. 2005. ISBN 978-1-552-66168-0.
- Mapping the Ruling Class: Situating Canada's Transnational Corporate Lawyers/Law Firms (MA). Toronto: York University. 2011.
- "Building an Expeditionary Force for Democracy Promotion" (with Jon Elmer), in Jerome Klassen and Greg Albo, eds., Empire's Ally: Canada and the War in Afghanistan, pp. 306–338. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. 2013. ISBN 978-1-442-64515-8
- "Anthony Fenton". yorku.academia.edu. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Fenton 2011.
- Fenton, Anthony; Bernstein, Dennis (30 December 2005). "Denial in Haiti: AP reporter Régine is wearing two hats". haitiaction.net. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "AP Ends Relationship With Haiti Freelancer". Associated Press. 30 December 2005. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "AP Cuts Ties to NED-Funded Journalist". democracynow.org. 3 January 2006. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Jay, Dru Oja (May–June 2007). "The Price of Aid". This Magazine. This Magazine. Retrieved 13 June 2010.
- Fenton, Anthony. "'Legalized Imperialism': 'Responsibility to Protect' and the Dubious Case of Haiti". Briarpatch (Dec 2005/Jan 2006). Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- Fenton, Anthony (22 December 2008). "Haiti and the Danger of the Responsibility to Protect (R2P)". upsidedownworld.org. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- Fenton, Anthony. "Responsibility to protect?". Briarpatch (Jan 2013/Feb 2013). Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- Articles for The Dominion
- Articles for Znet
- Articles for Inter Press Service (IPS)
- Interview with Fenton on the 2006 Haitian elections
|This article about a Canadian journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Canadian writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|