March 6, 1984 |
Dublin, Georgia, U.S.
|Other names||Rumble, AJ|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
Light heavyweight (2012–present)
|Reach||78.0 in (198 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Boca Raton, Florida|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Notable school(s)||West Laurens High School|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Anthony Kewoa Johnson (born March 6, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the light heavyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He is currently the #1 ranked light heavyweight contender in official UFC rankings. As well, he is ranked #2 in the world by Sherdog and ESPN. He also has the most sub-minute' KO wins in UFC History with 4. He appeared in the 2011 film Warrior as a fighter named Orlando "Midnight" Lee.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Championships and achievements
- 4 Mixed martial arts record
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Anthony Kewoa Johnson was born in Dublin, Georgia. Early in life, his heroes were his grandfather and football player Walter Payton. He went to West Laurens High School and then attended Lassen College in Susanville, California on a wrestling scholarship, and became a junior college national wrestling champion. After college he worked as a bouncer, and entered mixed martial arts at age 20, after a friend suggested it based on his wrestling background.
Mixed martial arts career
Ultimate Fighting Championship
He made his UFC debut at UFC Fight Night 10, knocking out Chad Reiner just thirteen seconds into the first round. He had taken the fight on less than a week's notice replacing an injured Steve Bruno who tore his rotator cuff. He was also seen in a previous video for The Ultimate Fighter trying out for season six, however for undisclosed reasons he was not on the show.
In his next bout, he was submitted by Rich Clementi. The fight saw Clementi execute a flawless gameplan of taunting Johnson, only to secure back mount and choke Johnson out. Regardless, Johnson regards this as a win.[clarification needed] He bounced back with an impressive victory over Tom Speer.
Anthony's fight against Kevin Burns aired live on Spike TV on July 19, 2008, ended in a loss due to eye pokes, at 3:35 of the third round. Johnson could not continue after being poked in the eye multiple times. Many believe that Johnson should have won the fight via disqualification. earlier in the bout and possibly fouled in this fashion three other times. Johnson lost his appeal due to lack of remedy.
Johnson fought Kevin Burns again in a rematch on The Ultimate Fighter 8 finale. This time the outcome was different with Johnson winning the match by knocking Burns out via headkick. The knockout was awarded "Knockout of The Night" and a $25,000 bonus.
Johnson was scheduled to fight Matt Brown at the TUF 9 Finale, but had to pull out after suffering a knee injury. Johnson instead fought Japanese Judoka Yoshiyuki Yoshida at UFC 104. Johnson weighed in at 176 pounds, five pounds over the welterweight non-title bout limit of 171, and was forced to forfeit 20% of his fight purse. Johnson knocked out the much smaller Yoshida 41 seconds in to the first round, but was not eligible for the Knockout of the Night bonus due to missing weight.
Since he took virtually no damage during his fight with Yoshida, Johnson made a quick turnaround and faced Josh Koscheck on November 21, 2009, at UFC 106. Both Johnson and Koscheck were awarded Fight of the Night honors for the contest, which saw Koscheck win via rear naked choke.
Because of the knee injury, Johnson considered a move to the middleweight division of the UFC. Johnson indicated on the June 4, 2010, episode of Inside MMA that he must typically lose 55 pounds to make 170. Despite this, Johnson said that although he may take a fight at 185, he does not plan to remain there and intends to stay at 170.
Johnson returned to the octagon in early 2011. He faced Dan Hardy on March 26, 2011 at UFC Fight Night 24. Johnson used superior wrestling and controlled Hardy to a unanimous decision victory but did drop him with a left head kick in the first round of the fight.
Johnson was expected to face Nate Marquardt in what would have been his first main event on June 26, 2011 at UFC on Versus 4 but was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Rick Story.
For his next fight, Johnson attempted to move up to middleweight to face Vitor Belfort on January 14, 2012 at UFC 142. Leading up to the UFC 142 weigh-ins, doctors advised Johnson to terminate his weight cut and rehydrate. Johnson came in at 197 lb, 11 pounds over the middleweight division limit. The fight remained scheduled under the stipulation that Johnson would not weigh over 205 lb on fight day and would forfeit 20% of his purse to Belfort. On fight day, Johnson officially weighed in at 204.2 lb, and Belfort won via first round submission. Following the loss, Johnson was released from the promotion.
Titan Fighting Championships
After being released from the UFC, Johnson fought fellow UFC veteran David Branch at Titan Fighting Championships 22. On the day of the weigh ins for the fight, Johnson once again missed making the 186 lb limit for the middleweight division, as he weighed in at 194.2 lb, 8.2 lb overweight. Branch was notified the morning of the weight in that Johnson was not going to make weight, so as a result he weighed in at 189 lb. The bout was then agreed upon as a catchweight bout at 195 lb. This marked the fourth time in Johnson's professional career that he has weighed in over the assigned weight limit. Johnson won the fight via unanimous decision (30–27 on all cards).
Johnson made his light heavyweight debut at Titan Fighting Championships 24 against former King of the Cage Super Heavyweight Champion Esteves Jones, Johnson won via TKO in just 51 seconds of the second round.
World Series of Fighting
Return to UFC
On February 4, 2014, it was announced that Johnson signed a four-fight deal to return to the UFC.
In his return bout, he faced top ranked light heavyweight Phil Davis in the co-main event at UFC 172. Instead of cutting weight and fighting at the 170 lbs welterweight division, Johnson fought at 205 lbs in the light heavyweight division. Despite being a nearly 3-to-1 underdog, Johnson was successful in his return, defeating Davis via unanimous decision after dominating all three rounds of the fight.
Johnson next faced Antônio Rogério Nogueira in the co-main event on July 26, 2014 at UFC on Fox 12. He won the fight via KO at just 44 seconds into the first round. The win also earned Johnson his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
Suspension from UFC and return
On September 19, 2014 news surfaced about Johnson being suspected of domestic violence against the mother of his two children. Soon after, Johnson claimed to be innocent. Due to the suspicion, UFC released a statement that Johnson was being indefinitely suspended until the case was investigated. On November 6, 2014 the UFC lifted Johnson's suspension after the civil case was dismissed clearing him to fight.
Johnson fought Alexander Gustafsson on January 24, 2015 at UFC on Fox 14 with the promise that the winner would earn a title shot against Jon Jones. Johnson won the one-sided bout via TKO in the first round, becoming the first to stop Gustafsson due to strikes. The win also earned Johnson his second Performance of the Night bonus award.
Johnson was expected to face Jon Jones on May 23, 2015 at UFC 187. However, on April 28, it was announced that Jones was stripped of the UFC Light Heavyweight title and indefinitely suspended. Johnson faced Daniel Cormier for the vacant UFC Light Heavyweight Championship. In the early opening of the first round, Johnson became the first man to knock DC down in a MMA fight, however Johnson would go on to lose the next two rounds and eventually be submitted by a rear naked choke.
Johnson was expected to face Jan Błachowicz on September 5, 2015 at UFC 191. However, Johnson was pulled from the bout on July 30 in favor of a fight with Jimi Manuwa at the event. After dominating the first round with his wrestling, Johnson won via knockout early in the second round.
Championships and achievements
- National Junior College Athletic Association
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|25 matches||20 wins||5 losses|
|Win||20–5||Jimi Manuwa||KO (punches)||UFC 191||September 5, 2015||2||0:28||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||19–5||Daniel Cormier||Submisson (rear-naked choke)||UFC 187||May 23, 2015||3||2:39||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||19–4||Alexander Gustafsson||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Gustafsson vs. Johnson||January 24, 2015||1||2:15||Stockholm, Sweden||UFC Light Heavyweight title eliminator. Performance of the Night.|
|Win||18–4||Antônio Rogério Nogueira||KO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. Brown||July 26, 2014||1||0:44||San Jose, California, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||17–4||Phil Davis||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 172||April 26, 2014||3||5:00||Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Win||16–4||Mike Kyle||KO (punch)||WSOF 8||January 18, 2014||1||2:03||Hollywood, Florida, United States||Return to Light Heavyweight.|
|Win||15–4||Andrei Arlovski||Decision (unanimous)||WSOF 2||March 23, 2013||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey United States||Heavyweight bout.|
|Win||14–4||D.J. Linderman||KO (punch)||WSOF 1||November 3, 2012||1||3:58||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13–4||Jake Rosholt||TKO (head kick)||Xtreme Fight Night 9||September 21, 2012||2||4:22||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||12–4||Esteves Jones||TKO (punches)||Titan Fighting Championships 24||August 24, 2012||2||0:51||Kansas City, Kansas, United States||Light Heavyweight debut.|
|Win||11–4||David Branch||Decision (unanimous)||Titan Fighting Championships 22||May 25, 2012||3||5:00||Kansas City, Kansas, United States||Catchweight (195 lbs) bout; Both fighters missed weight.|
|Loss||10–4||Vitor Belfort||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 142||January 14, 2012||1||4:49||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Middleweight debut; Johnson missed weight (197 lbs).|
|Win||10–3||Charlie Brenneman||KO (head kick)||UFC Live: Cruz vs. Johnson||October 1, 2011||1||2:49||Washington, D.C., United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||9–3||Dan Hardy||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Davis||March 26, 2011||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Loss||8–3||Josh Koscheck||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 106||November 21, 2009||2||4:47||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||8–2||Yoshiyuki Yoshida||KO (punch)||UFC 104||October 24, 2009||1||0:41||Los Angeles, California, United States||Catchweight (176 lbs) bout; Johnson missed weight.|
|Win||7–2||Luigi Fioravanti||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Lauzon vs. Stephens||February 7, 2009||1||4:39||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Win||6–2||Kevin Burns||KO (head kick)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir Finale||December 13, 2008||3||0:28||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Loss||5–2||Kevin Burns||TKO (eye injury)||UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Irvin||July 19, 2008||3||3:35||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Johnson could not continue after an eye poke.|
|Win||5–1||Tom Speer||KO (punch)||UFC Fight Night: Florian vs. Lauzon||April 2, 2008||1||0:51||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Rich Clementi||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 76||September 22, 2007||2||3:05||Anaheim, California, United States||Catchweight (177 lbs) bout; Johnson missed weight.|
|Win||4–0||Chad Reiner||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Stout vs. Fisher||June 12, 2007||1||0:13||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Win||3–0||Keith Wilson||Decision (majority)||Rocky Mountain Nationals: Demolition||September 16, 2006||2||5:00||Denver, Colorado, United States||Won the RMN Welterweight Tournament.|
|Win||2–0||Rich Moskowitz||Decision (unanimous)||Rocky Mountain Nationals: Demolition||September 16, 2006||2||5:00||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||1–0||Jonathan Romero||TKO (punches)||PF 2: Live MMA||August 16, 2006||1||1:09||Hollywood, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 187 Johnson vs. Cormier". UFC.com. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- "Fight Card – UFC 172 Jones vs. Teixeira". UFC.com. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "Wrestling National Champions - Updated 04/18/2011" (PDF). NJCAA.org. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- Coach Mike R (Apr 26, 2014). "UFC 172 Factgrinder: Comparing the wrestling of Phil Davis, Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson". bloodyelbow.com.
- "BlackZilians Fighter Page for Anthony Johnson". Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "UFC Fighter Rankings". ufc.com. Retrieved April 28, 2014.
- "Anthony Johnson, Rumble On". UFC Magazine. July 23, 2014. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Oliver, Bren (April 18, 2008). "411 MMA Interview: A Few Rounds with Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson". 411 Mania. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- "Anthony Johnson". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- "Tom Speer Vs Anthony Johnson Fight Video UFC Fight Night 13". Mmatko.com. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Exclusive: NSAC Rejects Anthony Johnson's Appeal". MMAFrenzy.com. September 12, 2008. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Shnerer, Ariel. The Fight Network "UFC Fight Night 14 Suspensions – Johnson Appeals"
- "Anthony Johnson Loses Appeal; Loss Via Eye-Pokes Will Stand". Cagepotato. July 28, 2008. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Goyder, James (June 17, 2008). "Anthony Johnson vs Kevin Burns UFC Fight Night 14 fight booked". MMAmania.com. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Martin, Damon (December 13, 2008). "Johnson and Gouveia Impress at TUF 8 Finale". MMA Weekly. Archived from the original on October 11, 2009. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "Browning, Kaplan, Johnson, Soszynski earn $25K TUF 8 Finale bonuses". MMAjunkie.com. December 14, 2008. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "UFC 104's Anthony Johnson: "As soon as I didn't make weight, my life changed. I". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on October 29, 2009. Retrieved October 27, 2009.
- "Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson in the works for UFC 106". fiveknuckles.com. Archived from the original on October 31, 2009. Retrieved October 28, 2009.
- "Anthony Johnson vs. John Howard targeted for UFC Fight Night 21 main card". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on January 9, 2010. Retrieved January 7, 2010.
- "Anthony Johnson injured, withdraws from UFC on Versus 1 bout with John Howard". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on March 24, 2010. Retrieved February 15, 2010.
- Morgan, John (May 24, 2010). "UFC's Anthony Johnson and camp considering move to middleweight class". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Dan Hardy vs. Anthony Johnson likely UFC Fight Night 24 co-headliner". mmajunkie.com. December 26, 2010.
- "Anthony Johnson out, Rick Story steps in to face Nate Marquardt at UFC on Versus 4". mmajunkie.com. June 2, 2011.
- "Charlie Brenneman vs Anthony Johnson fight booked for UFC on Versus 6 in Oct.". mmamania.com. July 16, 2011.
- "Vitor Belfort vs. Anthony Johnson slated for UFC 142 in Brazil". MMAJunkie.com. November 1, 2011.
- "Anthony Johnson weighs 204.2 pounds, UFC 142 co-main event is on". MMAJunkie.com. January 14, 2012. Retrieved January 14, 2012.
- John Morgan (January 15, 2012). "UFC releases Anthony Johnson following UFC 142 loss". mmajunkie.com.
- "Anthony Johnson vs. David Branch Set as Main Event for Titan Fighting 22". mmaweekly.com. April 10, 2012.
- "Titan 24 adds Anthony Johnson vs Esteves Jones, Braulio Estima vs Chris Holland for Aug. 24 in Kansas City". mmamania.com. July 26, 2012.
- "Report: Anthony Johnson Will Fight Jake Rosholt Four Weeks After His Light-Heavyweight Debut". cagepotato.com. July 30, 2012.
- "ANTHONY JOHNSON TO COLLIDE WITH D.J. LINDERMAN AT INAUGURAL WORLD SERIES OF FIGHTING MMA EVENT". sherdog.com. October 5, 2012.
- "World Series of Fighting inks deal with NBC Sports Network, Arlovski vs. Johnson". mmajunkie.com. February 4, 2013.
- "Anthony Johnson talks about fighting Mike Kyle at WSOF 5". mmacore.com. June 17, 2013.
- "Andrei Arlovski Replaces Injured Anthony Johnson, Faces Mike Kyle at WSOF 5". sherdog.com. August 9, 2013.
- "WSOF 8 slated for Jan. 18 with Gaethje-Cavalcante title fight, Johnson-Kyle, Bollinger-Nam". mmajunkie.com. December 3, 2013.
- "WSOF 8 Fight Highlight Video: Anthony Johnson Flattens Mike Kyle". mmaweekly.com. January 19, 2014.
- "WSOF 8 results: Justin Gaethje, Jessica Aguilar seize inaugural titles; Anthony Johnson flattens Mike Kyle". mmafighting.com. January 18, 2014.
- "Download or listen to MMAjunkie Radio #1655 with Anthony Johnson, Sarah Kaufman". mmajunkie.com. February 4, 2014. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- Brent Brookhouse (February 4, 2014). "Anthony Johnson returns to the UFC, will face Phil Davis at UFC 172". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved February 4, 2014.
- Botter, Jeremy (April 27, 2014). "UFC 172 Results: Anthony Johnson Instantly Becomes Light-Heavyweight Contender". Bleacher Report. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Cole, Ross (April 29, 2014). "Anthony Johnson Boosts Up Light-Heavyweight Rankings After Beating Phil Davis". Fight of the Night. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- Cole, Ross (April 26, 2014). "Anthony Johnson Dominates Phil Davis At UFC 172". Fight of the Night. Retrieved April 27, 2014.
- Dann Stupp (May 8, 2014). "Anthony Johnson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira slated for UFC on FOX 12". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- Cole, Ross (May 8, 2014). "Anthony Johnson Vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Set For UFC On FOX 12". Fight of the Night. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- Steven Marrocco (July 26, 2014). "UFC on FOX 12 results, photos: Anthony Johnson destroys Antonio Rogerio Nogueira". MMAjunkie.com.
- Staff (July 26, 2014). "UFC on FOX 12 bonuses: Lawler, Brown, Johnson, Bermudez win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- Brent Brookhouse (Sep 19, 2014). "Mother of Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson's children gets restraining order, tells police of threats and history of abuse". bloodyelbow.com.
- Jesse Holland (September 20, 2014). "UFC's Anthony Johnson apologizes for meltdown, but insists he's innocent following domestic violence allegations". mmamania.com.
- "UFC statement on Anthony Johnson". ufc.com. September 19, 2014.
- "UFC ends Anthony Johnson's suspension after civil case is dismissed". Bloody Elbow. November 6, 2014
- Dann Stupp (November 12, 2014). "Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson slated for UFC on FOX 14 in Sweden". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- Brandon Wise (2015-01-24). "Anthony Johnson TKOs Alexander Gustafsson at UFC Stockholm". cbssports.com. Retrieved 2015-01-25.
- Staff (January 24, 2015). "UFC on FOX 14 bonuses: Who joined 'Rumble' Johnson in getting $50,000 richer?". mmajunkie.com.
- Staff (February 19, 2015). "Jones-Johnson, Weidman-Belfort, Cerrone-Nurmagomedov top UFC 187 in May". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved February 19, 2015.
- Marc Raimondi (April 28, 2015). "Jon Jones stripped of title, Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson for belt headlines UFC 187". mmafighting.com. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Thomas Myers (2015-07-16). "Anthony Johnson's next fight set against Jan Blachowicz at UFC 191 on Sept. 5". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2015-07-16.
- Damon Martin (2015-07-30). "Anthony Johnson now faces Jimi Manuwa at UFC 191 in Las Vegas". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-09-05). "UFC 191 results: Anthony Johnson drills Jimi Manuwa for second-round knockout". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- Tristen Critchfield (2015-09-05). "UFC 191 Bonuses: John Lineker, Francisco Rivera garner $50K for wild slugfest". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- Joe Chacon (December 26, 2014) "Combat Press 2014 MMA Awards: Comeback Fighter of the Year – Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson". Combat Press.