Anthony Mason (journalist)
|Residence||Westchester County, New York, U.S.|
|Education||St. George's School,|
|Alma mater||Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.(B.A. in English; Minor in Government (1980)|
|Occupation||journalist, correspondent, television presenter|
|Employer||CBS News, New York City, USA|
|Known for||Senior Correspondent for CBS News|
Interim News Anchor, CBS This Morning (weekdays)
Co-anchor of CBS This Morning
New York Associated Press Award for General Excellence of Individual Reporting on Vietnam Veterans (1985)
Emmy Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement by a Reporter and the Pennsylvania Associated Press Award for Best Feature Story
Correspondent for CBS News since 1986
|Spouse(s)||Christina Anne Unhoch (present)|
Amy Dickinson (1986–1990)
Anthony Mason (born June 23, 1956) is an American broadcast journalist. He has worked as a reporter, anchor and correspondent for CBS News since 1986, and is weekday co-host of its flagship morning program CBS This Morning since 2019. He has also served as an interim anchor for the weekday editions of the CBS Evening News.
Early life and education
Mason was educated at St. George's School, a private Episcopal co-educational university-preparatory boarding school in Middletown, Newport County, Rhode Island, from which he graduated in 1974. He attended Georgetown University, a private research university in Washington, D.C., where he obtained a Bachelor of Arts in English with a minor in Government, in 1980.
Mason worked at KJRH-TV in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He then spent two years at then-CBS owned WCAU-TV in Philadelphia, the start of his association with the network. His last position before joining CBS News was at WCBS-TV in New York City.
CBS News & CBS This Morning Saturday
Mason joined CBS News as a correspondent in 1986. He was the London Bureau correspondent from 1987 to 1990. From 1991 to 1993, Mason was the Chief Moscow Correspondent. He contributed award-winning coverage of the 1991 Soviet coup attempt from Moscow, Russia. He has been working in New York City since 1993. Mason was named the Business Correspondent in 1998. In early 2012 Mason became the co-anchor of CBS This Morning Saturday.
CBS Evening News
On May 31, 2017, CBS News announced that Mason would become the interim anchor for the weekday editions of the CBS Evening News, replacing Scott Pelley in that role. This was made effective on June 19, 2017. On October 25, CBS News announced that Jeff Glor would become the permanent weekday anchor. Mason's last day as anchor of CBS Evening News was Friday, December 1, 2017, with Glor becoming the new permanent weekday anchor of the program the following Monday, December 4.
CBS Sunday Morning
Anthony Mason also serves as a main correspondent for CBS Sunday Morning with Jane Pauley. For most of the second half of 2017, Mason was absent from the broadcast due to his interim anchor position at the CBS Evening News.
In 1985, Mason won the New York Associated Press Award for General Excellence of Individual Reporting on Vietnam Veterans. He won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement by a Reporter, and the Pennsylvania Associated Press Award for Best Feature Story.
Mason is married to Christina Anne Unhoch, and they have one daughter and one son. The family resides in Manhattan, New York. Mason has one daughter from a previous marriage to advice columnist Amy Dickinson (1986–1990).
- "CBS News: Biography for Anthony Mason, Senior National Correspondent". CBS News, New York, USA. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- "CBS News: Stories by Anthony Mason, Senior National Correspondent". CBS News, New York, USA. May 8, 2017. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- "CBS News Videos: Anthony Mason, Senior National Correspondent". YouTube.com. CBS News, New York, USA. May 8, 2017. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- "Scott Pelley, an old-school anchor, sinks in a Snapchat world". NY Daily News. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- "Scott Pelley Returns to 'CBS Evening News' With His Days Numbered". TVWeek. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- "CBS Evening News on Twitter: ".@ScottPelley is back anchoring @CBSEveningNews this week, next week. Will anchor through June 16."". Twitter.com. May 27, 2009. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- "The Head of School's Report - St George's School - Fall 2014". 2014. Retrieved November 15, 2016.
| CBS Evening News anchor
June 19, 2017 to December 1, 2017