|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
24 June 1932|
Willesden, London, England
|Died||23 December 1990
|Other names||Tony Wager|
|Occupation||Actor, television writer|
Anthony A. "Tony" Wager (24 June 1932 – 23 December 1990) was an English actor and television writer. Wager is best known for portraying the role of the young "Pip" in David Lean's 1946 film of Great Expectations.
Early life and career
Wager was born in Willesden, London and grew up in Mill Hill, Hendon. Wager’s father was a plumber and decorator. He studied at Christ's College. In 1945, Wager auditioned call for the role of ’Pip’ in the film Great Expectations. Wager won the role and was praised by critics for his performance. He won a Film Daily Critics Award for Best Performance For a Juvenile for his role in the film.
After appearing in Great Expectations, Wager continued working in films and television in England. In the late 1950s, Wager moved to Sydney, Australia where he continued his career in both film and television but occasionally returned to England for acting jobs. He made his final onscreen appearance in the 1988 Australian television movie The Boardroom. Wager then moved to Bali, Indonesia for health reasons.
On 23 December 1990, Wager died at age of 58 in Bali. He was given a Balinese funeral and his ashes were scattered at a lake.
- Great Expectations (1946) - Young Pip
- Hungry Hill (1947) - Young Wild Johnnie
- Fame Is the Spur (1947) - The Boy Hamer
- The Guinea Pig (1948) - Bert
- The Secret Tunnel (1948) - Roger Henderson
- No Place for Jennifer (1950) - Ted
- Scrooge (1951) - Fezziwig's Lad (uncredited)
- Above Us the Waves (1955) - George
- The Battle of the River Plate (1956) - Lookout, HMS Ajax (uncredited)
- The Wind Cannot Read (1958) - Moss
- The Captain's Table (1959) - Tony Millington (uncredited)
- Night of the Prowler (1962) - Det. Sgt. Baker
- Shadow of Fear (1963) - Jack Carter
- The Hi-Jackers (1963) - Smithy
- Be My Guest (1965) - Artie Clough
- Two Left Feet (1965) - Master of Ceremonies (uncredited)
- The Little Ones (1965) - (uncredited)
- Night Caller from Outer Space (1965) - Pvt. Higgins
- Stir (1980) - Visiting Justice
- Daisy and Simon (1989) - Cuthbert (final film role)