20 June 1956|
|Died||6 January 2015
|Education||M.S., ETH Zürich
Ph.D., ETH Zürich
|Employer||Innsbruck Medical University|
Anton Amann (20 June 1956 – 6 January 2015) was an Austrian chemist and Professor of chemistry at the Innsbruck Medical University. He worked in the area of physical chemistry, ECG analysis, and exhaled breath analysis.
Amann was the head of the Breath Research Institute of the Leopold-Franzens University of Innsbruck (formerly an Institute of the Austrian Academy of Science) and editor in chief of the Journal of Breath Research.
After studying chemistry at the ETH Zürich, he continued with a PhD in Science. The title of his dissertation 1984 with Hans Primas and Norbert Straumann was Observable in der W*-algebraischen Quantenmechanik (observables in W*-algebraic quantum mechanics). In 1991 he earned Habilitation in Physical Chemistry at the ETH Zürich. From 1987 to 1995 he was a senior research associate at the Institute of Physical Chemistry at the ETH Zürich.
In 1995 he was awarded an APART grant from the Austrian Academy of Sciences and he also received an invitation to join Yale University as associate professor. In 1993 he was awarded with AECI Gold Medal by the South African Chemical Institute. In 2010 he received the Marie Sklodowska Curie Medal of the Polish Chemical Society.
From 2006 to 2009 he was the coordinator of the European Union Project BAMOD  (lung carcinoma screening, project funding: 3 million euro). In 2005 he was chairman and organizer of the international conference Breath Analysis for Clinical Diagnosis and Therapeutic Monitoring., Innsbruck (Austria). In 2004 he was chairman and organizer of the international conference Breath Gas Analysis for Medical Diagnostics., Dornbirn (Austria).
- with Julian King, Helin Koc, Karl Unterkofler, Pawel Mochalski, Alexander Kupferthaler, Gerald Teschl, Susanne Teschl, Hartmann Hinterhuber: Physiological modeling of isoprene dynamics in exhaled breath, J. Theoret. Biol. 267 (2010), 626-637, .
- with Julian King, Karl Unterkofler, Gerald Teschl, Susanne Teschl, Helin Koc, Hartmann Hinterhuber: A mathematical model for breath gas analysis of volatile organic compounds with special emphasis on acetone, J. Math. Biol. (2011), .
- with Klotz K, Niederklapfer T, Kupferthaler A, Werther T, Granegger M, Lederer W, Baubin M, Lingnau W: Reduction of CPR artifacts in the ventricular fibrillation ECG by coherent line removal, BioMedical Engineering OnLine 9, (2010) 2 .
- with Filipiak W, Sponring A, Filipiak A, Ager C, Schubert J, Miekisch W, Troppmair J: TD-GC-MS analysis of volatile metabolites of human lung cancer and normal cells in vitro, Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention 19 (2010) 182 - 195.
- with Julian King, Alexander Kupferthaler, Karl Unterkofler, Helin Koc, Susanne Teschl, Gerald Teschl, Wolfram Miekisch, Jochen Schubert, Hartmann Hinterhuber: Isoprene and acetone concentration profiles during exercise at an ergometer, J. Breath Research 3, (2009) 027006 (16 pp) .
- with K. Schwarz and W. Filipiak: Determining concentration patterns of volatile compounds in exhaled breath by PTR-MS, J. Breath Research 3, (2009) 027002 (15 pp) .
- with Bajtarevic A, Ager C, Pienz M, Klieber M, Schwarz K, Ligor M, Ligor T, Filipiak W, Denz H, Fiegl M, Hilbe W, Weiss W, Lukas P, Jamnig H, Hackl M, Haidenberger A, Buszewski B, Miekisch W, Schubert J: Noninvasive detection of lung cancer by analysis of exhaled breath, BMC Cancer 9 (2009) 348.
- with T. Werther, A. Klotz, G. Kracher, M. Baubin, HG. Feichtinger, H. Gilly: CPR artefact removal on ECG signals using Gabor multipliers, IEEE Trans Biomed. Eng. 65 (2009) 320 – 327 .
- with Ž. Krkošová, R. Kubinec, L. Soják: Temperature – programmed GC linear retention indices of all C4 – C30 monomethylalkanes on methylsilicone OV – 1 stationary phase. A contribution towards a better understanding of volatile organic compounds in exhaled breath, J. Chromatography A 1179 (2008) 59 – 68.
- with Robert Tratnig and Karl Unterkofler: Detecting Ventricular Fibrillation by Time-Delay Methods IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 54 (2007) 174 – 177 .
- with Thomas Breuer, and Nicolaas P. Landsman: Robustness in quantum measurements J. Math. Phys. 34 (1993) 5441 – 5450 .
- Ground states of a spin-boson model, Annals of Physics 208 (1991) 414 – 448.
- Jauch-Piron states in W*-algebraic quantum mechanics, J. Math. Phys. 28 (1987) 2384–2389 .
- Editorial Board, Journal of Breath Research
- Selected Publications
- "Univ.-Prof. Dr. Anton Amann" (in German). traueranzeigen.tt.com. 6 January 2015.
- 2005 conference
- 2004 conference