Apostolic Vicariate of Galápagos
|Apostolic Vicariate of Galapagos
Apostolicus Vicariatus Galapagensis
|Area||8,010 km2 (3,090 sq mi)|
|(as of 2010)
|Established||6 May 1950 (66 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Catedral La Inmaculada|
|Apostolic Vicar||Manuel Antonio Valarezo Luzuriaga, O.F.M.|
The Apostolic Vicariate (or Vicariate Apostolic) of Galápagos (Latin: Apostolicus Vicariatus Galapagensis) is a missionary pre-diocesan jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Church, located on the Galápagos Islands off the Pacific coast of Ecuador, coinciding with the homonymous insular province.
Its cathedral see is the Marian 'Catedral La Inmaculada', dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, on San Cristóbal Island. It is exempt, i.e. directly subject to the Holy See, not part of any ecclesiastical province.
It comprises ten parishes, which serve both locals and tourists to the World Heritage Site natural reserve.
- Apostolic Prefects of Galápagos
- Pedro Pablo Andrade Sanchez, O.F.M. † (1951 - 1959)
- Juan de Dios Campuzano, O.F.M. † (20 Nov. 1959 - 30 Oct. 1967)
- Hugolino Cerasuolo Stacey, O.F.M. (3 Oct. 1967 - 30 May 1975)
- Serafín Luis Alberto Cartagena Ocaña, O.F.M. (17 May 1980 - 10 Sep. 1982)
- Manuel Antonio Valarezo Luzuriaga, O.F.M. (22 June 1990 - 15 July 2008, cfr. infra)
- Apostolic Vicars of Galápagos
- Manuel Antonio Valarezo Luzuriaga, O.F.M. (cfr. supra 15 July 2008 - 29 October 2013), Titular Bishop of Quæstoriana (1996.04.22 – ...)
- Áureo Patricio Bonilla Bonilla, O.F.M., former Vicar Provincial of the Order of Friars Minor in Ecuador, titular bishop of Bida (29 October 2013 - ...).
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Ecuador is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|