|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
NYSE Arca, previously known as ArcaEx, an abbreviation of Archipelago Exchange, is an exchange on which both stocks and options are traded. It is owned by Intercontinental Exchange and is headquartered in Chicago.
In November 1994, Stuart Townsend and Gerald Putnam founded TerraNova Trading LLC, an electronic securities exchange, in Chicago. Its product, Archipelago, started accepting trading orders on January 20, 1997. Archipelago is one of the first ECNs and a precursor to the Archipelago Exchange (ArcaEx) that was created in 2001 to facilitate electronic stock trading on US stock exchanges.
On Monday, March 20, 2017, the Arca platform stopped functioning because of a "system issue" and the exchange was unable close trading for an undetermined number of funds. 
NYSE Arca's liquidity fee/rebate structure resembles that of other electronic communication networks. In late 2006, it was the first one to offer NASDAQ-style fees on New York Stock Exchange-listed securities, a move that was soon copied by NASDAQ and other electronic communication networks. NYSE Arca charges traders that remove liquidity from the Arca-book $3.00 per 1,000 shares. Traders that add liquidity receive a $2.00 rebate per 1,000 shares. Traders that route orders out of the NYSE Arca system are charged $1.00 per 1,000 shares for Tape A securities and $4.00 per 1,000 shares for other securities.
- Deutsche Bank`s db-X Opens NYSE Arca on August 9, Reuters
- http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=7960146 NYSE Arca Overview, Bloomberg BusinessWeek
- Phillips, Matt (11 May 2010). "Nasdaq: Here's Our Timeline of the Flash Crash". The Wall Street Journal.
- Free Encyclopedia of Ecommerce: Archipelago Holdings LLC, retrieved 30 Dec. 2011.
- York, New (January 4, 2005). "Archipelago to buy the Pacific Exchange". Chicago Tribune.
- "Glitch at NYSE Arca hits hundreds of exchange traded funds". Financial Times. March 21, 2017.
- NYSE Arca Listings on NYSE.com
- NYSE to merge with Archipelago; NASDAQ to buy Instinet. Wikinews
|This article about stock exchanges is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|