Arkansas River Trail
|Arkansas River Trail|
Location of the Arkansas River Trail
|Length||14 mi (23 km)|
|Location||Pulaski County, Arkansas, USA|
|Trailheads||Little Rock, Arkansas
North Little Rock, Arkansas
|Use||Hiking, Cycling, Jogging|
|Sights||Arkansas River, Pinnacle Mountain, Big Rock, the Little Rock, William J. Clinton Presidential Center and Park, The Medical Mile, the Big Dam Bridge, North Little Rock's Burns Park|
The Arkansas River Trail began with funding from a $1.9 million bond issue from the city of Little Rock in 2003. The trail includes a portion of the Little Rock & Western Railway. The former railbed is still in use by the railroad and operates adjacent to the trail.
Junction and Clinton Presidential Park Bridges
Both former railroad bridges have been converted into pedestrian and bicycling bridges. The Junction Bridge opened in May 2008; the Clinton Presidential Park Bridge, named after former U.S. president Bill Clinton, opened in October 2011. Both connect the two cities' riverfront parks. The Junction Bridge is accessed via stairs and elevators.
Renovation work on the Clinton Presidential Park Bridge began in May 2010. The railroad bridge, originally constructed in 1899 as the Rock Island Bridge, is the eastern pedestrian and bicycle connection for the River Trail.
Renovation work on the Clinton Presidential Park Bridge cost $10.5 million and was funded by a mix of funds including $4 million from the Clinton Foundation, $2.5 million of federal stimulus money, $2 million from the Commerce Department, $1 million from the city of Little Rock, and $750,000 from the city of North Little Rock.
- "Arkansas River Trail - Arkansas River Trail".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Tugman, Lindsey (September 30, 2011). "Clinton dedicates pedestrian bridge at library". KTHV-TV. Retrieved May 20, 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-11-01. Retrieved 2011-10-07.
- Arkansas River Trail maps, events, businesses, services, and more
- The Arkansas River Trail Page on Traillink.com
- American Trails web page on the Arkansas River Trail