||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Arnulf Martin Baring earned a doctorate at the Free University of Berlin in 1958. In 1968 he was invited by Henry Kissinger to teach at the Harvard Center for International Affairs, and the following year, he was appointed as Professor at the Free University of Berlin, where he taught until his retirement in 1998.
In 1997, he expressed concern that the European Monetary Union would make Germans the most hated people in Europe. Baring was aware of the possibility that the people in Mediterranean countries would regard Germans as economic policemen, predicting that the currency bloc would end up with blackmailing its member countries.
He worked at the Bundespräsidialamt (Office of the German President) from 1976 to 1979. He was initially a member of the SPD, but was expelled from the party in 1983, after publicly supporting liberal Hans-Dietrich Genscher. He was affiliated with the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton 1992-1993 and was a Fellow of St Antony's College, Oxford 1993-1994.
He received the Commander Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (Großes Bundesverdienstkreuz des Verdienstordens der Bundesrepublik Deutschland) in 1998.
He has been married to the psychological practitioner Gabriele (born Garbriele Oettgen) since 1986. The couple have two children. Arnulf Baring also has two adult daughters from his first marriage.
- Kanzler, Krisen, Koalitionen. Siedler, Berlin 2002, ISBN 3-88680-762-2.
- Es lebe die Republik, es lebe Deutschland! Stationen demokratischer Erneuerung 1949–1999. Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart 1999, ISBN 3-421-05194-1.
- Scheitert Deutschland? Der schwierige Abschied von unseren Wunschwelten, Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart 1997, ISBN 3-421-05095-3.
- Machtwechsel - Die Ära Brandt-Scheel, Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart 1982, ISBN 3-421-06095-9.
- Im Anfang war Adenauer. Die Entstehung der Kanzlerdemokratie, München: Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag, 1982, ISBN 3-423-10097-4.
- This Prediction about the Euro Deserves a ‘Nostradamus Award’ W. Richter, Wolf Street, 16 Jul 2015
- Berliner Kurier vom 12. März 1998 Hoher Orden für Professor Arnulf Baring
- Homepage des Fördervereins der Gedenkstätte Berlin-Hohenschönhausen, Gründung
- Gabriele Baring (compiler and publisher). "Gabriele Baring". Retrieved 19 December 2016.