Arthur Clare Cawley
|Arthur Clare Cawley|
|Born||21 November 1913|
|Died||7 January 1993
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Arthur Clare Cawley (1913–1993) was an English literature academic.
Cawley graduated from University College London in 1934. He went to the Education Department at the University of Hull for a year and in 1935 returned to UCL for three years as a part-time Lecturer whilst he completed his MA.
In 1938, Cawley went to Harvard on a Commonwealth Fellowship and, on his return to England, joined the British Council. He went as Professor of English to Iași in Romania until the German invasion forced him to leave and he spent 1941 to 1945 in Egypt and in Benghazi, Libya. Finally, still with the British Council, he taught in Reykjavík, Iceland.
In 1946 Cawley returned to England and after a year at the University of Sheffield was appointed to a Lectureship at the University of Leeds in 1947. He completed his PhD in 1952. His thesis for London University was a scholarly edition of six of the thirty-six Wakefield Pageants.
In 1959 Cawley left Leeds to go to the Darnell Chair of English at the University of Queensland, Australia. He remained there for six years before returning to Leeds as Professor of English Language and Medieval English Literature in 1965. He retired from his chair in 1979 with the title Emeritus Professor. The university currently offers a post-graduate scholarship in his name.
Arthur Clare Cawley died in 1993.
- Arthur Clare Cawley, ed. (1958). The Wakefield Pageants in the Towneley Cycle (Old & Middle English Texts). Manchester University Press. pp. vii. ISBN 0-7190-0606-6. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "School of English Scholarships - Arthur Cawley Scholarship". University of Leeds. Retrieved 2009-10-12.
- University of Leeds, Biographical Note[permanent dead link]
- "Everyman and medieval miracle plays". Everyman's Library. 1 January 1956. Retrieved 2009-10-12.
- "Canterbury tales / Geoffrey Chaucer ; edited with an introduction by A.C. Cawley". London: Dent. 1958. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "The Wakefield pageants in the Towneley cycle / edited by A.C. Cawley". Manchester: Manchester University Press. 1958. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "Wakefield Mystery Plays: Further Information". City of Wakefield: Wakefield Local Studies Department. 29 March 2006. Retrieved 2009-10-13.