Ash Black Bufflo
|Ash Black Bufflo|
Ash Black Bufflo
|Origin||Portland, OR, USA|
|Labels||Knitting Factory Records|
Ash Black Bufflo, sometimes spelled Buffalo, is the professional name of Portland-based music composer and experimental musician Jay Clarke. He composes music for feature-length films, short films, documentaries, and dance and theater projects. He is notable for scoring the music for the documentary Marwencol which won the Jury Prize at the South by Southwest film festival and received positive critical attention. He created soundscapes for theatrical productions such as My Mind Is Like an Open Meadow, which received positive reviews in Willamette Week. He performs and records with numerous Portland-area bands including Dolorean, Holy Sons, Grails, and others. Clarke landed a record deal with Knitting Factory Records, and there are plans to release his debut CD entitled Andasol using the name Ash Black Bufflo in 2011.
A review in MVRemix Urban described the album Andasol as being:
— Caile Michelle, MVRemix Urban
Clarke explained his use of tone clusters in a theatrical production as a way to heighten dramatic suspense:
A tone cluster is any tight cluster of notes played at the exact same time ... Sometimes you use your forearm, sometimes you use sticks, anything to get as many notes down as possible.— Jay Clarke, quoted in the Portland Tribune
- Andasol, Knitting Factory Records, to be released May 2011
- Mark Baumgarten (November 16, 2005). "Love And Distance: Miles of mainland can't stop the Standard". Willamette Week. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
... keep track of the guys in the Standard. ... "Jay Clarke and Rob Oberdorfer live in Portland," Putnam says.
- Caile Michelle (2011-05-13). "Ash Black Bufflo – Andasol album review". MVRemix Urban. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
Ash Black Bufflo (or Jay Clarke) comes from Portland, Oregon
- KELLY CLARKE (March 10, 2010). "Off The Wall: A pair of local choreographers asks the Ford Building to dance". Willamette Week. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
... recently renovated building ... gains another identity: dance partner. ... The constant motion and a thrumming minimalist soundscape by Jay Clarke create an atmosphere ... of change and excitement.
- Catherine Thomas (June 17, 2010). "Dance review: Keely McIntyre comes into her own with 'Subplot'". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
The best of McIntyre's choreography casts the dancers ... Jay Clarke's original score has the same effect: For much of the dance, the score is livelier than either the mood or the pacing suggests. ...
- John Chandler (Sep 28, 2004). "Play's music is more than a backdrop". Portland Tribune. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
Upstart Theatre ... the music of composer Jay Clarke becomes increasingly telling.
- Dana Stevens (Dec 29, 2010). "Wow: My top 10 movies of 2010.". Slate Magazine. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
Marwencol, Jeff Malmberg. A quietly radiant debut documentary about art, imagination, addiction, and survival. ...
- Peter Debruge (March 30, 2010). "Marwencol (Documentary)". Variety. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
Vintage songs and Super 8 footage help sell the alternate reality of Marwencol, presented in mesmerizing montages throughout. ... Pic won the documentary jury prize at SXSW. ... Camera (color, DV, Super 8), Malmberg, Tom Putnam, Matt Radecki, Kevin Walsh; music, Ash Black Bufflo...
- BEN WATERHOUSE (January 28, 2011). "My Mind Is Like an Open Meadow". Willamette Week. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
My Mind Is Like an Open Meadow -- theater -- Memory ... and the soundscape created by Ash Black Buffalo ...
- AMY MCCULLOUGH (March 27, 2007). "Foureveryoung, "Birthdays Are What They Used To Be," Young Family Sitcom (self-released)". Willamette Week. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
... Dolorean keyboardist and Foureveryoung engineer Jay Clarke ...
- JIM FUSILLI (January 27, 2011). "Dolorean Stays 'Unfazed' on the Road to Recognition". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
The Unfazed" has an immediacy lacking on Dolorean's earlier albums ... Jay Clarke on keys ...
- Ezra Ace Caraeff (2011-05-13). "You Can Win: Dolorean Remains Unfazed". Portland Mercury. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
When the unfazed members—Jay Clarke (keyboards), ...
- CASEY JARMAN (December 15, 2010). "Winning Streak: Dolorean cheers up (just a little)". Willamette Week. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
Dolorean’s music ... The band—keyboardist Jay Clarke, ...
- "ASHBLACKBUFFLO". ASHBLACKBUFFLO. April 1, 2010. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
... A full-length album, Andasol, will be out in the fall on Knitting Factory Records.
- "Ash Black Bufflo ro release debut on KF Records". Knitting Factory Records website. March 25, 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
Portland, Oregon’s Ash Black Bufflo ... Andasol is due out May 24 via KF Records. T...
|This article on a United States band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|