Ashbrook High School (North Carolina)
|Ashbrook High School|
|School district||Gaston County Schools|
|Color(s)||Kelly green and white |
|Fight song||"On Gastonia"|
|Athletics conference||Big South (3A)|
|Mascot||Mighty Green Wave|
|Team name||Green Wave|
Ashbrook High School is a public high school in the Gaston County Schools public school district located in Gastonia, NC. The school was the result of the merger of two former senior high schools, Holbrook Senior High and Ashley Senior High. The first class graduated in 1971. Its attendance range covers most of the central and eastern portions of the City of Gastonia, as well as the towns of Ranlo and Lowell, and the community of Springdale.
The school's most famous alumnus is retired basketball player James Worthy, player for the 1982 NCAA National Champion University of North Carolina and the Los Angeles Lakers of the NBA. Other notable alumni include MLB baseball player Wes Helms and NBA veteran Darrell Armstrong of the New Jersey Nets.
Ashbrook High School last won the North Carolina State Football Championship in 2002 as well as the Baseball State Championship in 2003. The current Athletic Director is Jake Eccles. In 2015, the Ashbrook men's basketball team made it to the 3A state championship basketball game, but lost to Terry Sanford 67–60 at Carmichael Arena in Chapel Hill.
- "Staff Directory". Gaston County Schools. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "Ashbrook High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- "James Worthy Bio". Archived from the original on 24 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- Wes Helms: Biography and Career Highlights, retrieved 2008-08-28
- Darrell Armstrong Statistics, archived from the original on 16 September 2008, retrieved 2008-08-28
|This North Carolina school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|