Aspark OWL concept at the 2018 Paris Motor Show
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Sports car (S)|
|Body style||2-door coupé|
|Layout||Double motor, all-wheel drive|
|Electric motor||4 electric motors (two rear, two front)|
|Power output||2,012 PS (1,480 kW; 1,984 hp)|
2,000 N⋅m (1,475 lb⋅ft)
|Battery||64 kWh (230 MJ) lithium-ion|
|Electric range||451 km (280 mi)|
|Length||480 cm (189.0 in)|
|Width||190 cm (74.8 in)|
|Height||99.0 cm (38.97 in)|
|Kerb weight||1,900 kg (4,189 lb)|
The Aspark Owl (Japanese: アスパーク OWL) is an all-electric battery-powered sports car manufactured by Japanese engineering firm Aspark (アスパーク), under development since 2018, with the goal of making the fastest accelerating electric car. The OWL will be built by Manifattura Automobili Torino (MAT) in Italy and the firm has planned to have a production run of 50 vehicles, which will have a list price of €2.5 million per car. The OWL was publicly unveiled in concept form at the 2017 Frankfurt Auto Show. Production version of the OWL was unveiled in November 2019 at the Dubai International Motor Show.
Specifications and performance
The OWL has carbon fibre body work built around a carbon fibre monocoque chassis weighing 120 kg (265 lb). There is a stainless steel support structure incorporated in the roof to increase the strength of the bodywork. Changes to the bodywork from the concept include the addition of wing mirrors, an active rear wing and a redesigned rear glass. The car features a double wish-bone suspension system with hydraulic dampers and torque vectoring for improved handling. Stopping power is handled by a carbon-ceramic braking system featuring 10-piston calipers in the front and 4-piston calipers at the rear.
The OWL can accelerate from 0-97 km/h (60 mph) in 1.69 seconds, 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 1.9 seconds, 0-299 km/h (186 mph) in 10.6 seconds and can attain a top speed of 400 km/h (249 mph). The OWL's acceleration times make it the fastest accelerating production car in the world.
- Bruce, Chris (12 November 2019). "Aspark Owl Debuts As 1,985-HP EV Hypercar, Hits 60 MPH In 1.69 Seconds". Motor1. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- Simon Green (21 February 2018). "Epic hypercar filmed 'reaching 0-60mph in UNDER two seconds' – but it costs a FORTUNE". Daily Star.
- Anthony Cuthbertson (21 February 2018). "Owl EV: Tesla Rival Is First to Achieve 0-60 MPH in Under Two Seconds". Newsweek.
- Bradley Brownell (18 February 2018). "Drop Everything, Japan's Aspark Owl Electric Hypercar Just Did 0-60 In 1.9 Seconds". Jalopnik.
- Dan Mihalascu (14 September 2017). "Aspark Owl might just be the fastest accelerating car you've never heard of". Drive Mag.
- David Tracy (13 September 2017). "Japan's Mysterious Aspark Owl Electric Supercar Concept Promises Ridiculous Acceleration". Jalopnik.
- Hyatt, Kyle (12 November 2019). "Aspark's electric Owl hypercar is finally ready to hatch after years of waiting". CNET. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- Pattni, Vijay (12 November 2019). "The 2,012bhp Aspark Owl is the most powerful production hypercar". Top Gear. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- 株式会社アスパークR&D事業部 (Aspark R&D), on YouTube (September 2017)
- (in Japanese) GigaZine, on YouTube (11 February 2018)
- "モンスターEV「アスパーク OWL(アウル)」が世界初の市販車0-100km/hで2秒切りを達成、暴力的な加速を見てきた" (in Japanese). GIGAzine. 11 February 2018. Cite magazine requires
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aspark Owl.|
- Aspark EVs webpage: Home || 変わる「価値観」、変わらない「走る喜び」 ASPARK 電気自動車開発 プロジェクト