The neutrality of this article is disputed. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Athena Reich is a Canadian-American actor, writer, singer/songwriter, and Lady Gaga impersonator. Athena's journey to conceive using in vitro fertilisation (IVF) is documented in the Emmy nominated film Vegas Baby.
Reich created the Off-Broadway show Lady Gaga: #ARTBIRTH, which received Time Out Critics' Pick and ran for two years in New York City at the Laurie Beechman Theatre. Lady Gaga #ARTBIRTH recently premiered in Toronto at the Berkeley Street Theatre in association with Canadian Stage. Reich told the Toronto Star, "#ARTBIRTH first ran in New York, but the Toronto version is completely different. Unlike the old show, which was a cabaret, this is a full-blown musical with a longer run time and new content." Lady Gaga: #Artbirth, a comedic musical in its on right, stars Reich as a pregnant Lady Gaga who's decided to give birth in front of her fans as the ultimate performance art piece. The show is a commentary on celebrity culture and a comedic celebration of the female body.
Often mistaken for the real Lady Gaga, in 2015, Billboard Magazine printed an image of Athena thinking it was Lady Gaga herself. Reich's tribute performances have been endorsed by Lady Gaga, who, tweeted in support of Lady Gaga: #ARTBIRTH. Reich's Lady Gaga tribute has garnered media attention worldwide. She has appeared on CBC, Cp24 and was featured in The New York Times, was called a "Best Bet" by New York Magazine. and the Toronto Star.
As a singer/songwriter, Reich's best known for her hit, "Love is Love" which charted number one on Logo TV and won Best Pop Song at the Outmusic Awards. Reich has released five albums and four singles.
- "Meet the world's top Lady Gaga impersonator". Chatelaine.
- "The Multiple Lives of New York's Celebrity Impersonators". Observer. 26 August 2014.
- "Athena Reich#Artbirth LGTB in New York". Time Out.
- "Lady Gaga impersonator wasn't born this way". Toronto Star.
- "Hear Say: A look at who's saying what in music". Billboard.
- "Toronto Gaga taking over music scene". Toronto City News.
- "To Win a Free I.V.F. Cycle, Contestants Share Losses, Grief and Hope. Is it Worth It?". The New York Times.
- "Best Bets: Oscar-Nominee Impersonators". New York.
- "Athena Reich Is Lady Gaga in #ARTBIRTH, Beg. 8/17 in NYC". BroadwayWorld.com.
- "The Best of the 8th OMAs". Outmusic Awards.
|This Canadian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|