Athens Academy (school)
- This article is about the secondary school in the United States. For the ancient academy in Athens, Greece, see Academy. For the modern national academy of Greece, see Academy of Athens (modern).
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1281 Spartan Lane
|Motto||Excellentia Cum Honore (Excellence With Honor)|
|Founder||John Wilkins, John E. Griffin, Harold E. Beasley, Dr. Harvey Cabaniss, Tommy Tillman, Mary T. Erwin|
|Principal||Preschool: Melton Weekly|
Lower School: Mark Cunningham
Middle School: Jeff Stachura
Upper School: Susan Zalac
|Number of students||>950+|
|Campus||154-acre (62.3 ha)|
|Color(s)||Green, white and silver|
Athens Academy is a private, co-educational, college preparatory school and former segregation academy in Oconee County, Georgia, United States. The school offers grades K3 through 12. The school enrolment is approximately 955 students in K3 through grade twelve.
The curriculum provides general college preparatory and honors programs. The College Board Advanced Placement Program is offered as an outgrowth of the Academy's honors program. Art, music, physical education, and drama classes are offered in addition to traditional academic disciplines.
As of July 2014, the headmaster of the school is John Thorsen.
Athens Academy competes in region 8-A of the Georgia High School Association (GHSA). They field teams in cross country, football, competitive swimming and diving, golf, track and field, basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, cheerleading, wrestling, and baseball. The team name is the Spartans. In grades 7-12, 78% of students participate in athletics.
- Amy Bruckner, actress best known for her role as Pim Diffy on Phil of the Future
- Elizabeth Guess, All-American soccer player at University of North Carolina
- Brian Kemp, Governor of Georgia
- Lauren Schacher, actor and screenwriter most known for her role in Paul Schrader's The Canyons; co-founder of podcast Chicks Who Script
- "Education/Schools". Oconee County Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "At a Glance". Athens Academy. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-07-06. Retrieved 2008-08-05. Athens Academy About Us, retrieved 8-05-2008
- Carter, Kate. "Athens Academy Celebrates 35 Years". Athens Banner-Herald. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- Monica, Knight (2007). SEEKING EDUCATION FOR LIBERATION: THE DEVELOPMENT OF BLACK SCHOOLS IN ATHENS, GEORGIA FROM EMANCIPATION THROUGH DESEGREGATION (PDF) (Thesis). University Of Georgia.
- Barker, Horace (1971). The South and her Children:School Desegregation 1970-1971 (PDF). Department of Health, Education and Welfare. p. 58.
- France, Erin. "Athens Academy headmaster announces retirement". Online Athens. Athens-Banner Herald. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Welcome to Spartan Athletics!". Athens Academy. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Athens Academy Press Releases". Athens Academy. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- Soccer History Athens Academy Girls Soccer webpage, retrieved 3-13-2008