Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge?
|Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge?|
Theatrical release poster
|Hindi||अतिथि, तुम कब जाओगे?|
|Directed by||Ashwni Dhir|
|Produced by||Amita Pathak|
|Screenplay by||Tushar Hiranandani
|Story by||Ashwni Dhir|
Konkona Sen Sharma
|Edited by||Dharmendra Sharma|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures
Wide Frame Pictures
|Budget||₹150 million (US$2.3 million)|
|Box office||₹390 million (US$6.1 million)|
Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge? (Dear Guest, When Will You Leave?) is a 2010 Indian comedy film directed by Ashwni Dhir, and produced by Amita Pathak. Loosely based on the short story Tum Kab Jaoge, Athithi? by Sharad Joshi, the film stars Ajay Devgan, Paresh Rawal and Konkona Sen Sharma in the lead roles. It was released on 5 March 2010.The film was an Super Hit grosser and made nearly double of its budget (150 million) at the box office. It received numeorous nominations at award ceremonies.
The life of a happy family living in Gurgaon ((Mumbai)) are short lived when a distant relative from Gorakpur comes to stay with them causing an unfavorable turn of events.
- Ajay Devgn as Puneet Bajpai
- Konkona Sen Sharma as Munmun Bajpai
- Paresh Rawal as Lambodar Chacha
- Satish Kaushik as Ranjeet Taneja
- Sanjai Mishra as Building Watchman
- Akhilendra Mishra as Suleiman Bhai
- Viju Khote as Kaalia
- Mukesh Tiwari as Inspector
- Rohitash Gaud as Niranjan Tripathi
- Hrishikesh Joshi as Godbole
The film received average to good ratings from the critics. Taran Adarsh from Bollywood Hungama rated it 3.5 out of 5, and claimed that the film was "fun" and "frolic" for all. Komal Nahta gave it 3/5 and explained how it should be acclaimed for its family love, and the great message at the end.
Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge had an "average" opening at the box office, and took about a 35% opening, which is a typical trend for films in the family comedy/drama genre. The collections picked up through good word of mouth and sustained well at the box office for eight weeks despite competition from other films and IPL cricket tournament held during the same time. The film worked well with family audiences but did not find a large youth audience. The film did a domestic gross of ₹ 390 million. It was declared an average grosser by Box Office India.
|Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge|
|Soundtrack album by Amit Mishra & Pritam Chakraborty|
|Released||20 February 2010|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The songs featured in the movie are composed by Amit Mishra and Pritam Chakraborty while the lyrics are by Irshad Kamil. The film score was composed by Sanjoy Chowdhury. The soundtrack was released on 20 February 2010. "Aaja Aaja" and its remix are composed by Pritam while the rest were by Amit Mishra
|"Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge"||Amit Mishra||Amit Mishra|
|"Jyoti Jalaile"||Sukhwinder Singh||Amit Mishra|
|"Aaja Aaja"||Raghuvir Yadav, Ajay Jhingran & Rajneesh||Pritam Chakraborty|
|"Dohe"||Amit Mishra||Amit Mishra|
|"Sukhakarta"||Amit Mishra||Amit Mishra|
|"Aaja Aaja (remix)"||Raghuvir Yadav, Ajay Jhingran & Rajneesh||Pritam Chakraborty|
Recently the famous author and cartoonist of India, Abid Surti has sued makers of Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge claiming that story is directly lifted from his Gujarati novel Bauter Varas No Babo published in 1976, which was later translated in Hindi as Bahatar Saal Ka Baccha. He has filed a case with The Film Writers Association (FWA) and has demanded Rs 11.5 million as compensation, the case is still pending judgment.
Awards and nominations
- Won: Apsara Award for Best Performance in a Comic Role – Paresh Rawal
- Nominated: Best Comedian – Paresh Rawal
A sequel to film titled Guest Iin London is scheduled to release on 16 June 2017.
- Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge Warner Bros. Second Hindi Movie Archived 17 December 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge: First Look". Indiatimes.com. 14 January 2010.
- "Box Office 2010". Boxofficeindia.com. Archived from the original on 8 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "Atithi Tum kab Jaoge's music launch". The Times of India. 28 February 2010.
- Writer Aabid Surti sues makers of Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge
- The writer-director of Atithi has completely lifted my novel! This is also the view of my 17 readers from different parts of India who informed me on phone.
- Similarities between Surti’s novel and the film.
- "Nominations for Zee Cine Awards 2011". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 5 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-07.