|Based in||Atlanta, Georgia|
Atlanta is a monthly general-interest magazine based in Atlanta, Georgia, and owned by Emmis Publishing, a division of Emmis Communications. Its staff has featured notable writers such as Hollis Gillespie, Anne Rivers Siddons and William Diehl, and it has included contributions from Pat Conroy, Rebecca Burns, Terry Kay, and Melissa Fay Greene. It is a member of the City and Regional Magazine Association (CRMA).
The Atlanta Chamber of Commerce founded the magazine "City Builder" in 1916 which ran until 1960. It was succeeded by Atlanta, founded in 1961 under the editorship of Jim Townsend. It was sold in 1970, and changed hands several times over the next two decades. Metrocorp bought the magazine in 1987, and in 1989 sold it to American Express for an estimated $8 million. Emmis Publishing, a subsidiary of Emmis Communications, bought the magazine from American Express in August 1993. Atlanta won the National Magazine Awards's feature writing award in 2008.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Alliance for Audited Media. December 31, 2013. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- "About Us." Atlanta. Retrieved June 10, 2009.
- "CRMA Magazines". City and Regional Magazine Association. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- Richard T. Eltzroth (1973). "The Atlanta Historical Society Its Archival and Library Holdings". Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- Miriam Greenberg (November 2000). "Branding Cities. A Social History of the Urban Lifestyle Magazine" (PDF). Urban Affairs Review. 36 (2). Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- Osterman, Jim (August 9, 1993). "Atlanta Magazine Changes Hands Again." Adweek.
- "The Media Business: Atlanta Magazine Sale.". The New York Times. September 29, 1989. p. d5. Retrieved July 4, 2009.
- Carlson, Peter (May 2, 2008). "Geographic Wins Again at Magazine Awards". The Washington Post. Retrieved July 4, 2009.
|This local interest magazine article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.