|Aubrey L. McDade Jr.|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/||U.S. Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1999–present|
|Unit||1st Battalion, 8th Marines|
|Battles/wars||Global War on Terrorism|
Navy Achievement Medal
Combat Action Ribbon
Navy Unit Commendation
Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Global War On Terrorism Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Aubrey L. McDade Jr. is a United States Marine who was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions in Iraq War, in which he rescued two U.S. Marines during an enemy ambush during the Second Battle of Fallujah, in November 2004. He is the fifteenth U.S. Marine to receive the Navy Cross in the Global War on Terrorism.
Early life and education
McDade enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in November 1999, after graduating from Western Hills High School in Fort Worth, Texas.
McDade's first tour of duty in the Iraq War was from March 2003, to October 2003. He returned to Iraq for a second deployment from June 2004 through February 2005.
Second Battle of Fallujah
On the night of November 11, 2004, during the Second Battle of Fallujah, McDade was a machine gun squad leader with 1st Battalion, 8th Marines, 2nd Marine Division, attached at the time to the Regimental Combat Team 7 (RCT 7) when his squad was attacked and pinned down by small arms and machine gun fire in an alley. Two U.S. Marines were injured. McDade, in the rear, rushed to the front of his squad, directing machine gun fire at the attackers. Under fire, McDade then rescued two of the wounded Marines, one at a time. A third Marine was killed in the attack and his body was recovered. McDade was originally awarded the Silver Star for his action; the award was subsequently upgraded to the Navy Cross.
On January 19, 2007, Staff Sergeant McDade was presented with the Navy Cross during a recruit graduation ceremony at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island where he served as a drill instructor for 1st Recruit Training Battalion, Charlie Company.
- Navy Cross
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
- Combat Action Ribbon
- Navy Unit Commendation
- Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal
- Iraq Campaign Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
- Global War On Terrorism Service Medal
- Humanitarian Service Medal
- Navy Sea Service Deployment Ribbon
- Department of Defense, Heroes in the War on Terror.
- "Hometown Hero—Sgt. Aubrey McDade Jr". WTOC11. January 19, 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-24.
- Yount, Beaufort Gazette, January 20, 2007.
- "Guest List for the First Lady's Box at the 2007 State of the Union Speech" (Press release). The White House. Retrieved 2007-01-24.
- "Marine Corps SSgt. Aubrey L. McDade Jr". Heroes in the War on Terror. U.S. Department of Defense. Archived from the original on 14 March 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-14.
- "Marine DI Received Navy Cross For Heroism In Iraq". HomeofHeroes.com. January 21, 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-24.
- Yount, Lori (January 20, 2007). "Local drill instructor awarded Navy Cross: Marine's second-highest honor given for daring rescue in Iraq". The Beaufort Gazette. Archived from the original on September 28, 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-24.
- "Drill instructor to receive Navy Cross". The Beaufort Gazette. January 17, 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-24.[dead link]
- Talton, Trista (January 21, 2007). "Parris Island DI earns Navy Cross, Sergeant braved gunfire to save 2 Marines". Marine Corps Times. Archived from the original on 2007-01-22. Retrieved 2007-01-24.