Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers is the main representative organisation of mathematics teachers in Australia. Membership is via affiliated state organisations. The AAMT conducts a number of activities including Reach for the stars, an activity for students, as well as submissions to government bodies and reports on issues relevant to mathematics teaching.
The AAMT is a federation of 8 affiliated associations of teachers of mathematics, one from each Australian State and Territory:
The AAMT is governed by a council made up of a representatives from each of these associations, as well as an elected President, Treasurer, and either a President Elect or an Immediate Past President.
The day-to-day affairs of the association are managed by an office staff based primarily in Adelaide, South Australia.
AAMT does not direct membership; members join their local affiliated association and are then automatically a member of AAMT. AAMT has approximately 4000 individual and institutional members.
The AAMT publish Standards for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics in Australian Schools as a guide for the improvement and maintenance of teaching standards in mathematics in Australian schools.
The AAMT publishes three journals:
- Australian Primary Mathematics Classroom (APMC) - primary school mathematics education.
- The Australian Mathematics Teacher (AMT) - secondary school mathematics up to age 16
- Australian Senior Mathematics Journal (ASMJ) - senior secondary (Years 11 and 12) and early tertiary mathematics.
- "Mount Carmel School on Target with Literacy and Numeracy". Yass Tribune. Archived from the original on 22 July 2012. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Morony, Will. "Submission to the Productivity Commission Schools Workforce Study" (PDF). Australian Government Productivity Commission. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 February 2014. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Trounson, Andrew (May 21, 2008). "Shortage of specialist maths teachers". The Australian. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- Trounson, Andrew (May 21, 2008). "Best brains won't make the numbers". The Australian. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- "Contact your State/Territory association". The Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers Inc. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "Constitution and Regulations". The Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers Inc. February 2012. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "Standards for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics in Australian Schools (2006 edition)". The Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers. Retrieved November 17, 2013.