Australian Indian Ocean Territories
Australian Indian Ocean Territories is the name since 1995 of an administrative unit under the Australian Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government, consisting of two islands groups in the Indian Ocean under Australian sovereignty:
- Christmas Island ( ), where the administrator resides
- Cocos (Keeling) Islands archipelago ( ), where the same officer also has jurisdiction as administrator but does not reside
It does not include the uninhabited Ashmore and Cartier Islands.
In 2004 a review of the territories was made.
In 2012 the administration was reviewed by Australian parliamentary visits and enquiry.
Administrators of the Australian Indian Ocean Territories
|No.||Name||Took office||Left office|
|1||Danny Ambrose Gillespie||1 July 1994||30 June 1996|
|2||Ron Harvey||1 October 1997||30 October 1998|
|3||Bill Taylor||4 February 1999||30 July 2003|
|4||Evan Williams||1 November 2003||31 October 2005|
|5||Neil Lucas||30 January 2006||22 February 2008|
|6||Brian Lacy||5 October 2009||5 October 2012|
|7||Jon Stanhope||5 October 2012||5 October 2014|
|8||Barry Haase||6 October 2014||4 October 2017|
|9||Natasha Griggs||5 October 2017||Incumbent|
- The Catholics are served pastorally by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Perth.
- 80% of Cocos/Keeling Islands population are Malay Muslims.
- 75% of Christmas Island population are Chinese Buddhists.
- Australia. Parliament. Joint Standing Committee on the National Capital and External Territories; Lightfoot, Ross (2004), Indian Ocean Territories : review of the annual reports of the Department of Transport and Regional Services and the Department of the Environment and Heritage, Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia, ISBN 978-0-642-78486-5CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- Australia. Parliament. Joint Standing Committee on the National Capital and External Territories; Pratt, Louise, 1972-, (chair.) (2013), Report of the visit to the Indian Ocean Territories, 21-25 October 2012 : review of the Department of Regional Development, Regional Australia and Local Government Annual Report 2010-11, Canberra Joint Standing Committee of the National Capital and External Territories, ISBN 978-1-74366-115-4CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
Sources and External Links
|This Cocos (Keeling) Islands geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Christmas Island geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Australian government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|