|Institutions||The National Institute of Integrative Medicine, University of Melbourne, Swinburne University|
Professor Avni Sali MBBS, PhD, FRACS, FACS, FACNEM is an Australian surgeon, researcher, author, and media personality primarily known for advocating an "integrative" approach to medicine, combining evidence-based conventional treatments with complementary therapies.
||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (March 2014)|
In 2008, Sali founded the National Institute of Integrative Medicine in Hawthorn, Melbourne, Australia.,.
His research interests include the digestive system, nutrition, lifestyle, mind-body medicine and sports medicine. His major research into children’s nutrition in the 1970s, the first of its kind in Australia looked at nutrition, weight and bowel habits in primary school children. This research on primary school children was utilised by the Australian Federal government’s Life be in it program, to improve eating habits.
He founded the NIIM is an independent clinical, education and research facility founded by Sali. As the director, he is involved in research, education and providing clinical services in the area of Integrative Medicine (in particular Integrative Oncology). His team of researchers and clinicians provide screenings and treatments based on the evidence-based integrative model. The NIIM is self-funded and reinvests into further research, education and patient care.
The Graduate School of Integrative Medicine was established by Sali in 1998 at Swinburne University of Technology and provided post-graduate integrative medical training and conducted innovative research.
He also founded the first integrative hospital, the Swinburne University Hospital, Hawthorn. The hospital closed as it was not able to raise adequate funds to keep it viable.
- Kotsirilos, Vicki, Luis Vitetta, and Avni Sali. A Guide to Evidence-Based Integrative and Complementary Medicine. Sydney, N.S.W: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone, 2011. ISBN 9780729539081
- Kune, Gabriel A, Avni Sali, and Gabriel A. Kune. The Practice of Biliary Surgery. 2nd ed. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1980. ISBN 9780632005895.
- "The National Institute of Integrative Medicine".
- Sali, A; Holt M; Thompson G (1999). "Constipation and diet in primary school children". Journal of Nutritional Medicine UK 3: p257.
- Sali, A; Holt M; Parker E; Thompson G (1992). "Dietary habits of primary school children: obesity and influencing factors". Journal of Nutritional Medicine UK 3: p263.
- "A Brief History of Life Be In It".
- "Graduate School of Integrative Medicine. Swinburne University of Technology. (-2009)".
- Jackson, A (29 April 2013). "Combined therapy hospital to close". The Age. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- "Cairnmillar Newsletter June 23, Page 2" (PDF).