Axel Carion (Axel, Michael, Jacques), born July 26, 1985 in Chartres (France) is a French adventurer, specializing in extreme ultra distance cycling and the organization of ultra cycling self-supported races. He has cycled twice the length of South America in 2015 and 2017 and owns the Guinness World Record for cycling, as a team, the length of South America, established in February 2017.
Guinness World Record
On January 1, accompanied with the Swede Andreas Fabricius, he attempted to settle the fastest cycle crossing of South America from Cartagena - Colombia to Ushuaia - Argentina. After 49 days, 23 hours and 43 minutes, the duo managed to reach Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego. Self-supported, they had to manage food, accommodations, bike repairs and some remote sections of more than 100 km without a single village.
Human adventure award 2017
The team duo's expedition in South America, is listed for the 2017 VSD Human Adventure Award alongside with the explorers Mike Horn, Thomas Coville, Christian Clot, Philippe Croizon and the astronaut Thomas Pesquet.
Uturuncu expedition, Uturuncu Volcano Climbing in Bolivia - 2018
Expedition "Chaskis", in the footsteps of Inca runners - 2019
In July 2019, Axel Carion accompanied by the German record holder Jonas Deichmann, managed to cycle the 1,900 kilometers of tracks between the Inca Valley and the Sierra Blanca in Peru. They perform the feat of crossing one of the highest road segment of Peru's "Qhapaq ñan" (network of Inca trails), nicknamed the "Peruvian Great Divide" in reference to the mountain range that crosses the United States from North to South (Continental Divide).
Their course was composed of 35 passes above 4,000 meters of altitude including 3 passes higher than the Mont Blanc. They linked the city of Cusco (capital of the eponymous region) to the village of Conococha which sits at the foot of the white mountain range, in 16 days.
They completed this feat in tribute to the Peruvian "Chaskis" runners, who traveled very long on foot to convey messages from the capital Cuzco to the borders of the Inca empire. This course is extremely demanding due to the prevailing climatic conditions (from + 40 ° to -15 ° C), the conditions of the rocky and muddy Andean tracks and the limited access to food for refueling.
- BikingMan unassisted ultracycling races across the globe, retrieved 2019-09-12
- "Fastest time to cycle the length of South America (Cartagena to Ushuaia) by a team of two". Guinness World Records. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "BikingMan : ils l'ont fait ! Retour sur une expérience hors du commun". Pompiers sans Frontières (in French). 2017-03-08. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- Duncan, Heather (2019-01-28). "Axel Carion | BikingMan - ub-cool Magazine". ub-cool Adventure Magazine. Retrieved 2019-02-11.
- "Le record de la traversée de l'Amérique du sud à vélo battu par deux Azuréens". Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- Média, Prisma. "Prix de l'aventure humaine 2017". Vsd.fr (in French). Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- Duncan, Heather (2019-01-28). "Axel Carion | BikingMan - ub-cool Magazine". ub-cool Adventure Magazine. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- ADVNTR (2019-07-28). "Tools for the job: Axel Carion's OPEN WI.DE". ADVNTR. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- Outdoor, Outside | Le magazine des amoureux de sports et culture (2019-07-25). "La Peruvian Great Divide ou l'aventure d'une vie dans les Andes". Outside | Le magazine des amoureux de sports et culture Outdoor (in French). Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- "Axel Carion and his 1900km Chaskis ride in the Peruvian Andes". A Life of Adventure. Retrieved 2019-09-12.