Azhagu (TV series)
|Written by||Vision Time Team |
|Screenplay by||C. U. Muthuselvan (1-200) |
Ashok Kumar (200-400)
|Story by||Vision Time Story Team|
|Creative director(s)||V. Murali Raaman|
|Theme music composer||Vishal |
Aditya (Title Song)
Kiran (Background Score)
|Opening theme||Azhagamma |
S. P. Balasubrahmanyam (Vocals)
Badri Venkatesh (Lyrics)
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||550|
|Cinematography||Azhagiya Manavaiyan |
|Editor(s)||M.S Thiyagarajan |
|Running time||approx. 20-21 minutes per episode|
|Production company(s)||Vision Time India Pvt Ltd|
|Original network||Sun TV|
|Original release||20 November 2017 –|
Azhagu (English: Beauty) is a 2017 Tamil language family soap opera starring Revathi, Thalaivasal Vijay, Shruthi Raj and Sangeetha. The show premiered on 20 November 2017. The show is produced by Vision Time India Pvt Ltd and directed by Arulrai.
The story is about the nuances of love between a husband (Thalaivasal Vijay) and wife (Revathi), even though they have been married for decades, and have successful and very strong individual personas. She is the one who finds amicable solutions to all family problems and issues. She is struggling to help her five children (arranged in order according to age) Ravi (Jagadeesh), Aishwarya (Niranjini), Mahesh (Manikanda), Thiruna (Avinash) and Kavya (Sahana) survive peacefully. But Shakuntala Devi (Gayatri Jayaraman) and Poorna (Sangeetha) tries to destroy their family.
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Cast section needs to be revamped to follow MOS:TVCAST and could use general cleanup (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Revathi as Azhagammai Palaniswamy a.k.a Azhagu: The head of the family. Wife of Palaniswamy, she is an intelligent and kind middle class woman, and mother of five children.
- Thalaivasal Vijay as Palaniswamy: husband of Azhagammai and a retired teacher, he is considered as the pillar of Azhagammai.
- Shruthi Raj as Sudha Ravi: Ravi's wife, Sakunthala Devi and Aravind's elder daughter, Poorna's sister and Azhagammai's first daughter-in-law. She was at first married to Ravi's friend Surender, after his death, due to unavoidable circumstances, she marries Ravi. Due to her kindness and intelligence she is called Chinna Azhagammai.
- Sangeetha as Poorna Mahesh (Main Antagonist): Sudha's sister, Sakunthala Devi and Aravind's second daughter and Azhagammai's second daughter-in-law, she was in love with Ravi since her childhood, but due to Ravi's sudden marriage with Sudha, she marries Mahesh and tries to take revenge on Sudha.
- Gayatri Jayaraman as Sakunthala Devi Aravind: She is the most famous advocate of India and is the mother of Sudha, Poorna and Madhan. Aravind's wife. She hates Azhagu's family because of what they have did for Poorna.
- Jagadeesh (Vibhu) as Ravi Palaniswamy: Azhagu and Palaniswamy's first son, he is an income tax officer. He was in love with Poorna, but due to the death of his best friend Surendar, he marries his wife Sudha.
- Manikandan Rajesh as Mahesh Palaniswamy: Azhagu and Palaniswamy's second son, he marries Poorna and love her unconditionally.
- Avinash as Thirunavukkarasu Palaniswamy a.k.a Thiruna: Azhagu and Palaniswamy's third son, he is an enthusiastic young man who loves to tease his father. He was in love with Nivi, his schoolmate, but he falls into depression after her sudden death.
- Jairam as Ganesh Sethuraman: Sethuraman's son, he is a rich businessman. He marries Aishwarya.
- Vignesh as Madhan Aravind: Aravind and Sakunthala Devi's son and a rich businessman, he fell in love with Kavya and marries her. He is Sudha and Poorna's younger brother.
- Niranjani Ashok as Aishwarya Ganesh a.k.a Aishu: Azhagu and Palaniswamy's first daughter, she is exactly like her mother: kind and intelligent. She marries Ganesh, a rich businessman.
- Sahana Shetty as Kavya Madhan: Azhagu and Palaniswamy's second daughter, she is a young woman who wants to become a doctor. She marries Madhan.
- Aishwarya as Vasantha: Poorna's adoptive mother and Palaniswamy's sister, she is a widow who wants her daughter's life to be happy.
- Vasu Vikram as Manimaran: Azhagu's brother, he has a very special bond with Aishwarya. He considers her as his mother.
- Rajyalakshmi as Devi Manimaran: wife of Manimaran, she hates Azhagu and wanted her son Mahi to marry Aishwarya, but it failed.
- Arun Kumar as Bhaskar : Surender's brother, he wants to take revenge on Sudha because of his brother’s death.
- Poovilangu Mohan as Sethuraman: Ganesh's father, he is a kind and rich businessman.
- Naresh Eswar as Sathyaraj Sethuraman @ Sathya: Sethuraman's second son and Ganesh's brother, he is a young businessman who leads his father's company.
- Mownika as Manisha Sethuraman: Sethuraman's daughter and Ganesh's sister, she is a young woman who does not like her sister-in-law, Aishwarya.
- Uma Rani as Surender and Bhaskar's mother
- --- as Surender and Bhaskar's father
- Murali as Aravind: He is Sakunthala Devi's husband. Sudha, Poorna and Madhan's father.
- Shanthi Williams as Sudha, Poorna and Madhan's grandmother: She is Sakunthala Devi's mother-in-law and Aravindan and Shailaja's mother.
- Sai Madhavi as Shailaja: Sakunthala Devi's sister-in-law and she is Madhan's aunt. She is Shakuntala Devi revival
- Joker Tulasi as Tulasi : Sakunthala Devi's assistant.
- Swathi Reddy as Swathy: Poorna's friend, she helps her to take revenge on Sudha. Her attempts are always failing because of her comic character.
- Fawaz Zayani as Venkat: Nivi's brother-in-law, he tortures her and wants to sell her to a Malaysian groom. He often helps Poorna to take revenge on Sudha.
- Ramya Shankar as Rathi Venkat: Nivi's sister and Venkat's wife she is also tortured by him. She is helped by Sudha.
- Sudha as Rangamma: Bhaskar's slave, she is the adoptive mother of Sudha.
- Thilagam as Rangamma's husband: Bhaskar's slave, he is the adoptive father of Sudha.
- Cumbum Meena Sellamuthu as Alamelu
- Veena Venkatesh as Maheshwari Sundaram: Sundharam's wife, Priya and Archana's mother.
- Sonu Sateesh Kumar as Priya: Sundaram and Maheshwari's elder's daughter.
- Aiswarya Devi as Archana: Sundaram and Maheshwari's younger's daughter.
- Rajesh as Sundaram: Priya and Archana's father, House Owner
- Ashwin as Surender : Ravi's friend & Sudha's late husband [Died in serial]
- Akshitha Bopaiah as Nivedhitha aka Nivi: Thiruna's late girlfriend [Died in serial]
- Lokesh Bhaskaran as Ravi Palaniswamy (Replaced by Jagadeesh)
- Mithra Kurian / Nithya Das as Aishwarya Ganesh (Replaced by Niranjani Ashok)
- Niranjan as Thirunavukkarasu Palaniswamy (Replaced by Avinash Ashok)
- Farina Azad as Nivedhitha (Replaced by Akshitha Bopaiah)
- Archana Harish as Supraja
- Rajesh as Naveen : Aiswarya's friend
- Divya as Anitha : Ganesh's Ex-girlfriend
- Kousalya Senthamarai as Atthaiyamma : Anitha's aunt
- Bhagyalakshmi as Vijaya
- Baboos as Thandavam
- Navindhar as Mahendran Manimaran : Manimaran and Devi's son
- B. Kannan as Kannan : Sethuraman's brother
- __ as Vaishnavi : Madhan's Ex-schoolmate
- Prem as Krishna Kumar : Vaishnavi's father
- S. P. Balasubrahmanyam as Himself
The series is a family melodrama with Revathi playing the lead female role of Alagammai, Revathi making her comeback after 10 years, and Thalaivasal Vijay in a lead role. Shruthi Raj and Mithra Kurian were also cast. Later Nithya Das was replaced for role of Aishwarya in Episode: 143. At present the role of Aishwarya is done by Niranjini Ashok. Other cast include Aishwarya, Poovilangu Mohan, Jagadeesh and Vasu Vikram.
- The series is produced by Vision Time India Pvt Ltd
- Revathi making her comeback after 10 years.
- It is the second serial for Thalaivasal Vijay after 27 years.
- Aishwarya makes a TV serial comeback after 3 years sabbatical.
In the table below, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest ratings.
|Year / Week||Episodes||Broadcast date||BARC ratings (Tamil Nadu + Puducherry)[failed verification]|
|Nationwide (Tamil Nadu+ Puducherry)||Ranking (Nationwide)|
|Week 01||1 - 6||18 November 2017 – 24 November 2017||11.1% (11158)||7|
|Week 02||7 - 12||25 November 2017 – 1 December 2017||11.2% (10238)||7|
|Week 03||13 - 18||2 December 2017 – 8 December 2017||11.0% (11037)||8|
|Week 04||19 - 23||9 December 2017 – 15 December 2017||10.1% (10132)||10|
|Week 05||24 - 29||16 December 2017 – 22 December 2017||10.2% (10252)||9|
|Week 06||30 - 35||23 December 2017 – 29 December 2017||10.1% (10196)||11|
|Week 07/01||36 - 40||30 December 2017 – 5 January 2018||9.5% (9534)||10|
|Week 02||41 - 46||6 January 2018 – 12 January 2018||9.6% (9689)||09|
|Week 03||47 - 50||13 January 2018 – 19 January 2018||8.4% (8407)||08|
|Week 04||51 - 56||20 January 2018 – 26 January 2018||8.1% (8134)||09|
|Week 05||57 - 61||27 January 2018 – 2 February 2018||9.5% (9593)||08|
|Week 06||62 - 67||3 February 2018 – 9 February 2018||9.4% (9422)||07|
|Week 07||68 - 73||10 February 2018 – 16 February 2018||9.4% (9482)||09|
|Week 08||74 - 79||17 February 2018 – 23 February 2018||9.4% (9419)||10|
|Week 09||80 - 85||24 February 2018 – 3 March 2018||9.0% (9047)||11|
|Week 10||86 - 91||3 March 2018 – 9 March 2018||8.4% (8404)||08|
|Week 11||92 - 97||10 March 2018 – 16 March 2018||9.7% (9794)||09|
|Week 12||98 - 103||17 March 2018 – 23 March 2018||9.6% (9683)||09|
|Week 13||104 - 109||24 March 2018 – 30 March 2018||9.4% (9451)||07|
|Week 14||110 - 115||31 March 2018 – 6 April 2018||8.9% (8944)||09|
|Week 15||116 - 121||7 April 2018 – 13 April 2018||8.7% (8744)||09|
|Week 16||122 - 126||14 April 2018 – 20 April 2018||8.9% (8986)||08|
|Week 17||127 - 132||21 April 2018 – 27 April 2018||8.0% (8058)||08|
|Week 18||133 - 138||28 April 2018 – 4 May 2018||8.1% (8186)||09|
|Week 19||139 - 144||5 May 2018 – 11 May 2018||8.4% (8448)|
|Week 20||145 - 150||12 May 2018 – 18 May 2018||8.7% (8728)|
|Week 21||151 - 156||19 May 2018 – 25 May 2018||8.7% (7368)|
|Week 22||157 - 162||26 May 2018 – 1 June 2018||8.0% (8069)|
|Week 23||163 - 168||2 June 2018 – 8 June 2018||7.8% (7850)|
|Week 24||169 - 174||9 June 2018 – 15 June 2018||8.5% (8593)|
|Week 25||175 - 180||16 June 2018 – 22 June 2018||9.4% (9403)|
|Week 26||181 - 186||23 June 2018 – 29 June 2018||9.4% (9432)|
|Week 27||187 - 192||30 June 2018 – 6 July 2018||9.0% (9033)|
|Week 28||193 - 198||7 July 2018 – 13 July 2018||9.6% (9693)|
|Week 29||199 - 204||14 July 2018 – 20 July 2018||9.5% (9570)|
|Week 30||205 - 210||21 July 2018 – 27 July 2018||10.1% (10138)|
|Week 31||211 - 216||28 July 2018 – 3 August 2018||9.5% (9581)|
|Week 32||217 - 221||4 August 2018 - 10 August 2018||9.4% (9466)|
|Week 33||222 - 227||11 August 2018 - 17 August 2018||9.3% (9344)|
|Week 34||228 - 233||18 August 2018 - 24 August 2018||9.6% (9684)|
|Week 35||234 - 239||25 August 2018 - 31 August 2018||9.7% (9721)|
|Week 36||240 - 245||1 September 2018 - 7 September 2018||10.3% (10330)|
- The show's episodes are released on YouTube channel VisionTimeTamil after original telecast.
- It airs in Sri Lanka, South East Asia, Middle East, United States, Canada, Europe, Oceania, South Africa and Sub Saharan Africa on Sun TV and Sun TV HD.
- The drama is episodes on their app Sun Nxt
- It is also available via the internet protocol television service Lebara Play, Lyca TV and YuppTV.
- It airs on Sri Lanka Tamil channel on Shakthi TV every Monday to Friday at 18:30 (SST) from February 2018 with Sinhala subtitles and PEO TV.
- "With Azhagu Revathy returns to television".
- "Azhagu serial crosses 500 episodes". Times of India.
- "I am enjoying working on Azhagu: Thalaivasal Vijay".
- "barcindia.co.in Azhagu serial Ratings".
- "With Sun NXT, Sun TV Network steps foot in the burgeoning digital streaming space of India". thetechportal.com. Archived from the original on 11 November 2017. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- Official Website (in English)