BATRAL-class landing ship
BATRAL Francis Garnier
|Succeeded by:||Bâtiment Multimission (B2M)|
|Type:||Landing ship tank|
|Displacement:||770 t, 1,330 t fully loaded|
|Length:||80 m (262 ft)|
|Beam:||13 m (43 ft)|
|Draught:||3 m (10 ft)|
|Propulsion:||2 × 4-bladed propellers|
|Speed:||16 knots (30 km/h)|
|Range:||4,500 nautical miles (8,330 km) at 13 knots (24 km/h)|
|Aviation facilities:||Helicopter landing deck|
The Bâtiment de Transport Léger ("Light ferry ship") are small landing ships of the French Navy. Also known as Champlain class by the lead ship, they have been used for regional transport and patrol needs in French Overseas Departments and Territories since the 1970s. On 9 January 2014 it was announced that the two remaining Batrals in French service would be replaced in 2015/16 by three 1500-tonne Bâtiments Multimission (B2M) at a cost of ~€100m (US$136m).
The Batrals can ferry over 400 tons of matériel, in the hangar and on the deck. Loading and unloading can be done from a harbour or on a beach. Two flat-bottom vessels allow unloading fifty men and light vehicles each. The accommodations are designed for a Guépard-type intervention unit (five officers, fifteen petty officers and 118 men), or for typical company-sized armoured units. A helicopter landing deck allows landing for light helicopters, and transfer to and from heavy helicopters.
The Chilean Navy purchased the plans and built two ships in the ASMAR shipyards in the early 1980s.
- Champlain decommissioned
- Francis Garnier decommissioned
- Dumont D'Urville will be decommissioned in 2017
- Jacques Cartier decommissioned
- La Grandière
- President el Hadj Omar Bongo (L05)
- Daoud Ben Aicha (402)
- Ahmed Es Skali (403)
- Abou Abdallah El Ayachi (404)
- Pape, Alex (9 January 2014). "France orders three new multimission vessels". IHS Jane's Defence Weekly.
- Champlain class
- "Le Batral Jacques Cartier est rentré en France" [The landing ship Jacques Cartier returned to France]. Marine Nationale (in French). Ministère de la Défense. 15 July 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to BATRAL.|