Cover of BUTT 23 (Spring 2008)
|Editors||Gert Jonkers and Jop van Bennekom|
|First issue||Spring 2001|
BUTT is a quarterly magazine for gay men, founded in 2001 and edited by Gert Jonkers and Jop van Bennekom. In 2005, The Guardian named BUTT as one of its top twenty magazines. As of 2008[update], it had an estimated worldwide circulation of 24,000. In 2014, Taschen released BUTT Forever, an anthology of some of the magazine's highlights since its inception.
The magazine, originating in the Netherlands, features interviews, articles, and advertisements and illuminates upon trends and lifestyles within the male homosexual community.
The magazine has published photography and interviews with renowned gay artists, and became well-known with its very first issue, which showed German fashion designer Bernhard Willhelm in nude portraits taken by Wolfgang Tillmans. Since its first issue in May 2001, BUTT has featured gay artists such as Casey Spooner, Michael Stipe, John Waters, Heinz Peter Knes, Edmund White, Terence Koh, Walter Pfeiffer, and Slava Mogutin.
Readers submit interviews, letters, photographs, or articles. Subscribers are referred to as "Buttheads" and may join the Butthead community officially through the magazine's website.
The magazine can be found worldwide. In the United States and the United Kingdom, it is available in American Apparel stores, among other places.
BUTT has been praised for its unabashed sexual and non-sexual portrayals of men, which emphasize equal opportunity in depictions of all people in print. The magazine has been lauded for its unique, candid approach to interviews, which may be done by anyone.
- Jonkers, Gert; van Bennekom, Jop (2008). "About BUTT Magazine". BUTT. Archived from the original on 26 May 2008. Retrieved 3 April 2008.
- Covered in glory, The Guardian, 11 December 2005, retrieved 9 April 2017
- Hornyn, Cathy (2008-03-09). "Double Dutch". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-06-12.
- Forever BUTT, Taschen, 2014, retrieved 9 April 2017
- McClear, Sheila. "Finally, a Chance for Fully-Splayed Men" Archived February 8, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Gawker, February 5, 2008. Accessed 3 April 2008.
- AMP "Why I Love BUTT Magazine" AMP Minizine, 2008. Accessed 3 April 2008.