|Single by Sade|
|from the album Soldier of Love|
|Released||20 April 2010|
|Format||Vinyl, digital download|
|Sade singles chronology|
"Babyfather" is the second single from English band Sade on their sixth studio album, Soldier of Love. It was released on 20 April 2010. The song was nominated in the Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal category at the 53rd Grammy Awards.
Background and writing
In this reggae-flavored song, Adu sings of a male figure who can be the father of a woman's child and a strong male role model, without necessarily being a lifemate. Frontwoman Sade Adu told People that "Babyfather," is "about how great it is to be a parent, what a great honor and privilege that is, and what a terrible thing that is to waste. As long as you feel good about yourself, you can be a good parent, and then it becomes an endless fruitful cycle". As for the sound of the new song, "I wanted it to sound quite rough and scrappy, not too honed," says the Grammy-winning singer, 51. "The beginning," says Sade, "feels like the ice cream van coming down the street".
Entertainment reporter Mayer Nassim from Digital Spy gave the song three out of five stars and said, "'Babyfather' it's not as striking as its sultry predecessor, possessing a much friendlier, summery vibe. Twanging acoustic guitars combine with that still-rich voice, so-laidback-they're-horizontal drums and positive lyrics about fatherhood and family love. It's not the most exciting thing to hit our ears this year, but it's still nice enough stuff that should keep things ticking on for Sade fans".
The music video, which featured people wearing bright-colored outfits, is directed by Sophie Muller, who also photographed and designed the single's cover art. It premiered on 4 May 2010 and featured frontwoman Adu as a homemaker who is doing daily chores from cooking to washing dishes and laundry.
The band performed the song on many talk shows. They appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on 12 April 2010; Dancing with the Stars on 14 April 2010; and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on 15 April 2010.
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||53|
|US Jazz Songs||10|
|United States||20 April 2010||Airplay||Sony Music|
|May 2010||Digital download|
|United Kingdom||7 June 2010||Digital download, vinyl|
- Babyfather by Sade - Songfacts Songfacts.com Accessed on May 2010
- First Listen: Sade's New Song - Music News, Sade People.com Accessed on May 2010
- Babyfather review by Digital Spy Mayer Nassim Digital Spy Retrieved 07-06-2010
- ""Babyfather" music video". 947thewave.radio.com. 2010-05-04. Retrieved 2012-09-30.
- "Sade – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Sade.
- "Top 100 Music Hits, Top 100 Music Charts, Top 100 Songs & The Hot 100". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Sade's New Single "Soldier Of Love" Makes Radio History - NCBuy.com Music News". Ncbuy.com. 2009-12-23. Retrieved 2012-09-30.
- "iTunes Store". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Music Singles Review". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2012-01-15.