Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine and Surgery
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine and Surgery (B.A.M.S.) is graduate degree awarded after the study of five and a half years duration, including 1-year internship. The curriculum includes studying and teaching of modern anatomy, physiology, pathology & diagnostic procedures, principles of medicine, preventive and social medicine, pharmacology, toxicology, forensic medicine, ENT, gynecology & obstetrics, Ophthalmology, principles of surgery, etc. along with corresponding Ayurvedic subjects such as Rachana Sharira, Kriya Sharira, Dravyuaguna, Svasthavritta and Yoga, Roga Nidana and Vikriti Vijnana, Kaya Chikitsa, Kaumara Bhritya, Prasuti Tantra, Shalya Tantra, Shalakya Tantra etc.
Permission to use modern medicine
BAMS graduates do have permission to practice modern/ allopathic medicine in the Indian state of Maharashtra According to the privileges in the Drugs & Cosmetics Act 1940,Rules 1945 Sec 2ee(iii), States have right to allow BAMS doctors to use modern medicine, in the practice. 
Future after BAMS
A BAMS doctor can work in following domains after completion of the degree.
- General Practice
- Research (Clinical research or epidemiological research)
- Hospital and Healthcare Administration
- Health Supervisor (As per High courts decision a BAMS doctor can work for the post of Health Supervisor)
- Master of Public Health
- PG Diploma Courses
- Prasad Kulkarni, Times of India, Pune editioeditiony 2012 Maharashtra: Ayurvedadoctors to go on strike on July 10 (Accessed on 11 July 2012)
- 16 July 2012, Esakal, पश्चिम महाराष्ट्र, कोल्हापूर बीएएमएस डॉक्टरांना ऍलोपथी औषधे वापराचा अधिकार (Accessed on 16 July 2012)
- Times news network, Shibu Thimas, Mumbai, 10 July 2012 BAMS doctor can apply for post of health supervisor: HC (Accessed on 11 July 2012)
- MCIM website - Redirected to a page that contains a list of acts and regulations.
- CCIM website link Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM) is the apex body in India which regulates education and practice of BAMS doctors.
- BAMS Graduate Association
- Ayurveda Medical Association Of India
- Ayurveda Education
- Syllabus of BAMS