List of unlucky symbols
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Bad luck)
"Bad luck" redirects here. For other uses, see Bad luck (disambiguation).
- A black cat crossing one's path
- The number 4 (tetraphobia) in Chinese culture
- The numbers 4 and 9 in Japanese culture
- Also in Japanese culture, maternity wards numbered 43, as it can literally mean "still birth".
- The number 13, known as triskaidekaphobia
- Friday the 13th
- Failing to respond to a chain letter
- Viewing one's doppelgänger may be considered a harbinger of bad luck
- Walking under a ladder
- According to Eastern cultures, spitting in public, as the spit may land on invisible spirits, who in response to the disrespect, may place a curse on the spitter.
- Hanging a horseshoe with the ends pointing down, as it is believed that the luck will fall out
- Breaking a mirror
- Placing chopsticks in a bowl of food sticking upward
- United States two-dollar bill
- Shoes on a table
- On the Isle of Man, the mention of the word "longtail" (referring to a rat)
- Three on a match (superstition)
- Giving a clock as a gift in Chinese culture
- Saying the word "Macbeth" while inside a theatre
- Opening an umbrella indoors
- A hanging picture falling from the wall
- Stepping on a grave
- Spilling salt
- Giving pocket knife as a gift
- Closing a pocket knife opened by someone else
- Ouija board
- "Luck and Horseshoes Webpage accessed 22 Aug. 2010". Indepthinfo.com. Retrieved 2011-12-19.