Barry Du Bois
Barry Du Bois
Du Bois in 2013
|Occupation||Television presenter, designer, builder|
|Known for||The Living Room|
Leonie Tobler (m. 1999)
Barry Du Bois (born 4 August 1960) is an Australian designer, building expert and television presenter. Du Bois is currently a co-host and design/building expert on Network 10's lifestyle program The Living Room.
Du Bois first appeared on reality renovation show The Renovators as a building mentor and judge.
Du Bois attended Chipping Norton Public School and completed Year 10 at Liverpool Boys High School where he excelled at all sports.
In 1976 Du Bois began an apprenticeship in carpentry and joinery, and gained a building certificate in 1980. He was mentored by architects and started to design and build homes as a speculative builder in 1979. Du Bois ran a successful design, building and property development business until retirement in 2005. During that time he served a term as President of the Master Builders Association NSW Eastern Suburbs and acted as an expert building witness for NSW courts and the Department Fair Trading tribunal.
In 2012, Du Bois joined lifestyle program The Living Room on Network Ten, alongside Amanda Keller, Chris Brown and Miguel Maestre. Heading up the renovations team, Du Bois assists home-owners in need of some expert help.
In May 2018, Du Bois and Miguel Maestre released an autobiographical book called Life Force about Du Bois's family, friendships, living with cancer and includes nutritional advice and recipes by Maestre.
Du Bois was born in Sydney, in the suburb of Liverpool, and is now living in the suburb of Bondi.
Du Bois met his Australian partner Leonie Carol Tobler in Bondi in 1992. They married in 1999 and their twins, a son and daughter, were born on 1 June 2012.
Du Bois was diagnosed with plasmacytoma, a cancer of the immune system, in 2010. He underwent successful therapy, but the cancer had already destroyed the vertebrae at the top of his spine. He received a titanium implant in his spine. In 2017, Du Bois announced that the cancer had returned as multiple myeloma.
|2011||The Renovators||Presenter||66 episodes|
|2013||Radio 2GB||Guest Presenter The Home Show||12 shows|
|2013||Radio 4BC||Regular Guest Real Estate Expert||6 shows|
|2016||The Renovator King||Presenter||13 episodes|
|2012—||The Living Room||Presenter|
- Murfett, Andrew (21 July 2011). "The Block busters". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- "Home renovators the third wave of cancer victims being hit with Asbestos-related diseases". Master Builders Association. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- Wilmoth, Peter (24 March 2014). "The life that Barry built". The Weekly Review. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- Trieste, Laura. "The Living Room presenter Barry Du Bois reveals get the most out of a small outdoor space". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- Casamento, Jo. "TV chef's juggling act". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- "People Behind Us". Ruok.org.au. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- Casamento, Jo (25 May 2014). "Living Room star Barry Du Bois' cancer battle". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- Schipp, Debbie. "'Titanium now holds my head on, and radiation and drugs help fight': Barry Du Bois five years on". News.com.au. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- Du Bois, Barry; Maestre, Miguel (14 May 2018). "Life Force - Barry Du Bois". Chris O'Brien Lifehouse. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Du Bois, Barry; Maestre, Miguel (1 May 2018). "Life Force by Barry Du Bois and Miguel Maestre". Booktopia. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Du Bois, Barry; Maestre, Miguel (1 May 2018). "Life Force by Barry Du Bois and Miguel Maestre". Dymocks. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Casamento, Jo (25 May 2014). "Living Room star Barry Du Bois' cancer battle". Retrieved 21 October 2017 – via The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Cooper, Luke (20 October 2017). "TV Personality Barry Du Bois Emotionally Announces His Cancer Has Returned". Retrieved 21 October 2017 – via Huff Post.