Basin Electric Power Cooperative
Basin Electric Power Cooperative is a wholesale electric generation and transmission cooperative based in North Dakota that provides electricity to 2.8 million customers in nine U.S. states. The roots of the cooperative go back to 1960 when Leland Olds and ten power suppliers created Giant Power Cooperative. Giant Power was first going to be a generation and transmission cooperative, but to keep electricity cheaper for rural customers, Basin Electric Power Cooperative was started in 1961. Today, Basin Electric's power sources include coal, natural gas, the wind, waste heat, and nuclear. The current CEO and General Manager is Paul Sukut. A subsidiary of Basin Electric, Dakota Gasification Company, operates the Great Plains Synfuels Plant, which captures and sequesters nearly 50% of its carbon dioxide emissions in a system developed during the Carter administration. In 2005, the membership of Basin Electric passed a resolution requiring 10 percent of electricity demand to be provided by renewable forms of energy. At the end of 2009, Basin Electric finished construction on a 77 turbine wind energy project.
- Grand Electric Cooperative - Bison, South Dakota
- KEM Electric Cooperative - Linton, North Dakota
- Minnesota Valley Cooperative Light & Power Association - Montevideo, Minnesota
- Minnesota Valley Electric Cooperative - Jordan, Minnesota
- Mor-Gran-Sou Electric Cooperative - Flasher, North Dakota
- Powder River Energy Corporation - Sundance, Wyoming
- Roughrider Electric Cooperative - Hazen, North Dakota
- Rosebud Electric Cooperative - Gregory, South Dakota
- Wright-Hennepin Cooperative Electric Association - Rockford, Minnesota
- Central Power Electric Cooperative - Minot, North Dakota
- Central Montana Electric Power Cooperative - Great Falls, Montana
- Corn Belt Power Cooperative - Humboldt, Iowa
- East River Electric Power Cooperative - Madison, South Dakota
- L & O Power Cooperative - Rock Rapids, Iowa
- Northwest Iowa Power Cooperative - LeMars, Iowa
- Rushmore Electric Power Cooperative - Rapid City, South Dakota
- Upper Missouri G&T Electric Cooperative - Sidney, Montana
- Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association - Denver, Colorado
Class D Members
- Flathead Electric Cooperative - Kalispell & Libby, Montana
- Wyoming Municipal Power Agency - Lusk, Wyoming
States served by Basin Electric
- Basin Telecommunications Inc.
- Basin Cooperative Services
- Dakota Gasification Company
- Dakota Coal Company
- Montana Limestone Company
- Prairie Winds ND 1, Inc.
- Prairie Winds SD 1, Inc.
- Souris Valley Pipeline Ltd.
Board of directors
|9||Wayne Peltier||President||Direct purchasing cooperatives||2008|
|1||Kermit Pearson||Vice President||East River Electric||1997|
|2||Gary Drost||Secretary/Treasury||L & O Power||1999|
|6||Roberta Rohrer||Assistant Secretary||Central Montana Electric||2004|
|3||Troy Presser||Director||Central Power Electric Cooperative||2015|
|4||Don Applegate||Director||Northwest Iowa Power Cooperative||1997|
|5||Leo Brekel||Director||Tri-State G&T||2014|
|7||Mike McQuiston||Director||Rushmore Electric||2008|
|8||Allen Thiessen||Director||Upper Missouri G&T||2012|
|10||Paul Baker||Director||Powder River Energy Corporation||2013|
|11||Charlie Gilbert||Director||Corn Belt Power||2009|
- "Basin Electric Generation Portfolio". Basin Electric Power Cooperative. Archived from the original on 11 February 2010. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Nation’s largest cooperative-owned wind project fully operational near Minot, ND. Archived January 31, 2013, at Archive.is Prairie Business. 31 Dec. 2009.
- "Wind". Basin Electric Power Cooperative. Archived from the original on 2014-08-14. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- "Director Elections and Resolutions". Basin Electric Power Cooperative. Retrieved 2015-12-18.